Car rental in SzegedWhere to pick up
Car rental in Szeged
Car rental locations in Szeged
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Szeged: exciting City of Sunshine
Hungary’s “City of Sunshine,” Szeged attracts visitors for its gorgeous architecture year-round and for its excellent festivals in the summer, particularly the Open Air Theatre Festival. Make Szeged your base for explorations of this beautiful and exciting region. Eat well in this culinary epicenter of southeastern Hungary in the evening and then make the most of your visit by driving outside the city during the day! Book you rental car today.
Summer visits Szeged with great intensity, so if you aren’t headed to the city for a specific event, plan to arrive sometime in May or September. During these months, the weather is typically comfortably warm.
Hungarian is the language of Hungary, a Finno-Urgic language that is unrelated to the language families represented by Hungary’s neighboring countries. While older generations of Hungarians had education in Russian, the most spoken second languages in the country are typically German and English, the latter of which has recently become compulsory in schools. Over 90% of Szeged’s residents are native speakers of Hungarian.
Szeged is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency in Hungary is the forint (denoted as Ft or HUF). While euros and credit cards are accepted at large businesses and many hotels, it’s prudent to carry some cash to receive goods and services from smaller businesses. ATMs are widely available, even in smaller towns. If you’re having trouble finding an ATM, try visiting a hypermarket.
Automobile hire is available in downtown Szeged.
As one of the countries that has signed the Schengen Agreement, Hungary accepts visitors visa-free from countries such as the EU, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Australia. Citizens of other countries will be required to apply for a visa before they arrive and are permitted to stay for up to three months. Hungary also has more relaxed visa restrictions for refugees and stateless people with valid travel documentation, as well as citizens of Antigua and Barbuda and Croatia.
Driving in Szeged
Szeged is more or less built on a grid, making navigating the city by car intuitive. However, because Szeged is the third biggest city in Hungary, you’re likely to find that streets are quite full during the day. Make the most of your rental car by exploring Szeged’s countryside!
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On rural roads: 90 km/h
- On expressways: 110 km/h
- On motorways: 130 km/h
- To avoid the worst traffic jams, stay off the road in Szeged during morning and evening rush hours.
- Street parking is regulated by zone through Szeged. You can purchase parking tickets at news agents and many local stores throughout the city. You can also pay via mobile app.
- Foreign drivers should carry an international driver’s permit to rent and drive cars in Hungary in order to avoid the necessity of translating their domestic driver’s licenses into Hungarian. Be sure to carry your domestic driver’s license whenever driving as well.
- All motorways are tolled in Hungary. You pay this toll by purchasing a motorway vignette, which is available at gas stations and is enforced via motorway cameras.
- The minimum driving age in Hungary is 17 years, though most rental companies will require that you are at least 21 years old to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Szeged
Automobile hire in Szeged typically ranges between $10 and $45 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Szeged:
- Opel Adam or similar (mini class) – $12/day
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $14/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $15/day
- Skoda Rapid or similar (intermediate class) – $16/day
- Toyota Verso or similar (standard class) – $40/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Szeged
There is significant seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Szeged. In the winter months, cars typically cost around $26 a day. You can often save money on rental cars in Szeged by booking your car just 1 week to 2 months in advance of your arrival. If you are planning on exploring the Szeged region during the popular summer months, on the other hand, it is prudent to book your rental car at least 1 month in advance of your arrival to ensure availability, and you may find that prices for rental cars rise as your arrival date nears.
Europcar is the primary rental car company in the Szeged area, though occasionally other rental car companies compete with slightly better prices. Keep an eye out for discounts of at least 8% that help you save even more money on automobile hire in Szeged.
You can also save over $10 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!