Car Hire in GironaWhere to pick up
Car Hire in Girona
Car rental locations in Gerona
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Hire in Girona
Girona is perhaps best known as the budget airline arrival point for visitors to Barcelona specifically and Catalonia at large. Car hire in Girona is an excellent way to continue saving money once you land in northern Spain, especially if you plan to drive through the Catalonian countryside. Instead of first making the long bus ride to Barcelona, book your rental car in Girona directly. But plan to spend some time in Girona itself as well! Unlike many other cities to which budget airlines fly, Girona is locally renowned as a favourite city in which to live and offers visitors an authentic and peaceful Catalonian experience.
Make the most of your visit by following our guide to ensure informed and cheap auto hire in Girona.
Important Facts about Girona
- Languages spoken in Girona:
Girona is a major city in Catalonia where Catalan dominates everyday conversation. Still, it is unlikely to find a resident of Girona who does not speak Catalan as well as standard Spanish.
- Local time in Girona:
- Girona is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+2.
- Daylight savings time typically spans from the end of March to the end of October in Spain.
- When you hire your car in Girona, remember that traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road.
Get the Best Deal on Auto Rentals in Girona at EconomyBookings.com
Budget automobile hire in Girona is available in three locations, at the airport, downtown, and at the central railway station. Car hire in Girona starts as low as €5 a day.
Tips for Cheap Car Hire in Girona
If you are travelling to Girona on short notice, be sure to check the prices of rental cars at the airport, where you can often find last-minute deals that drive car hire prices in Girona down to under €5 a day! Gold Car is typically the auto hire company in Girona that offers rental cars at the cheapest prices.
If you are arriving during the most popular tourist seasons, it is prudent to book your rental car in Girona a few months in advance. Check the prices of rental cars at each location throughout the city as well, as the cheapest location varies depending on season and availability. For instance, a summer rental car booked well in advance at the Girona central railway station drops as low as €20 a day through Hertz and can cost double that price at the Girona Airport!
Key Things to Remember When You Rent a Car in Girona
- Speed limits in Girona:
Speed limits are standardized throughout Spain:
- On motorways: 120 km/h
- On rural highways: 80 to 100 km/h
- In cities: 50 km/h
There are many radar speed traps throughout Costa Brava, so be sure to drive the local speed limit in order to avoid accruing significant fines, which your rental car company will typically pass along to you with extra surcharges.
Be aware that roads are winding, with many double-backs, along Costa Brava! Keep an eye out for quickly changing road conditions and be sure to abide by warning speed limits and other street signs.
- Parking in Girona:
- Parking will be difficult in downtown Girona if you are visiting during a folk festival or on the weekend, so speak with your hotel before you arrive to ensure that you find a parking space.
- Otherwise, parking is available throughout Girona in both car parks and on the street. If street parking is marked blue, you will be required to pay for parking at a ticketing machine.
- There are numerous car parks near Girona city centre, such as the Saba Estación de Girona near the central railway station.
- If you prefer to leave your car hire for a full day, consider parking at the AEROPARK Park and Ride and riding the bus downtown. Particularly if you book in advance, a full day’s parking in Girona is as cheap as €6.50!
- Toll roads near Girona:
The AP7 motorway that links Girona with Barcelona is a toll road, which is typically payable via credit card or cash. Booths marked “Manual” are manned and provide the greatest ease for people unfamiliar with Spanish toll booths. You will either pay on the spot or take a ticket and pay when you exit the motorway. Have cash or your credit card ready when you see a sign that says “Paetge” in Catalan or “Paeje” in Spanish.
- One-Way Car Rentals in Girona
Many car rental companies in Girona offer one-way auto hire, allowing you to pick up your rental car after landing in Girona and drop it off elsewhere. Be sure to check these options before you book your car, however, as surcharges for one-way rental cars can be very high!