Car Rental at San Diego International AirportWhere to pick up
Car Rental at San Diego International Airport
Car rental locations in San Diego
Why use EconomyBookings.com
San Diego International Airport Car Rental
San Diego International Airport is located just 3 miles northwest of central San Diego and is a great place from which to rent a car in order to explore southern California and beyond. San Diego is not only bordered by some spectacular state parks, but it is also a short drive away from both Los Angeles (120 miles to the north, about 2.5 hours in normal traffic conditions) and Tijuana, Mexico (21 miles to the south). If you are interested in crossing the border to Mexico, be sure to have the proper documentation from your rental car company and proper insurance for driving south of the border. Here is a brief guide to finding the cheapest rental cars at the San Diego International Airport.
Important Facts about the San Diego International Airport
- Physical address:
3225 N Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101, USA
- Website address: san.org
- Contact information:
o Visit the airport’s Frequently Asked Question page here: https://www.san.org/Travel-Info/FAQs
o You can also email the airport authority by visiting this webpage: https://www.san.org/Travel-Info/Contact-Us
- International Air Transport Association code: SAN
- The San Diego International Airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- There are two terminals at the San Diego Airport, which are connected via a long throughway. Terminal 1 typically serves Southwest and Alaska Airlines, while most other airlines arrive at Terminal 2.
- The two major airlines that fly in and out of the San Diego Airport are Alaska and Southwest, though United, Delta, and American area also frequent fliers to San Diego.
Get the Best Deal on San Diego Airport Car Rental at EconomyBookings.com
Car rental at the San Diego Airport typically start at $18 a day, depending on the season in which you rent your car. Over 8 rental car companies serve the San Diego Airport.
All the rental car companies that service the San Diego Airport directly are consolidated in the San Diego Airport Rental Car Center. The car rental companies that have counters at the Rental Car Center include Alamo, Avis, Dollar, Green Motion, Hertz, Sixt, and Thrifty. Complimentary shuttles connect the Rental Car Center to each of the airport terminals. Just follow the signs to Rental Cars and wait at the appropriate shuttle bay.
Car rental companies with service locations near the San Diego Airport include Mex Rent a Car. Mex Rent a Car is located a little over a mile southwest of the airport. To arrange a shuttle ride, be sure to call the local Mex location before you arrive.
Tips for Cheap Car Rentals at the San Diego Airport
Particularly if you are arriving in San Diego during the off-season, booking last minute can often save you a lot of money on your daily rental car. Dollar, Mex Rent a Car and Green Motion typically offer the best prices for last-minute economy rental car bookings at the San Diego Airport.
Prices rise in San Diego during the busy summer season, especially in July.
If you need to book your car well in advance, Dollar, Thrifty, and Green Motion are typically the rental car companies that offer you the best deals on economy car hire in San Diego. Keep an eye out for discounts of around 17% that make the prices of luxury rental cars much more affordable!
Tips for San Diego Airport Rental Car Return
Whether you are returning to the San Diego Airport Rental Car Center via the interstate or the Pacific Highway, you will want to turn or continue onto Sassafras Street just north of the airport itself. Once you have driven west on Sassafras passed the intersection of Sassafras and Pacific Highway, follow the signs to “Rental Car Center” or “Rental Car Return.” Park in the spots marked for your specific rental car company.
Returning a rental car can often take 30 minutes or more, and the shuttle ride to the airport terminals will likely add another 10 to 20 minutes to your travel time. Be sure to arrive at the airport well in advance of your flight in order to return your rental car and check in worry-free.
Key Things to Remember: Car Rental at the San Diego, CA Airport
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road.
- The major toll road in the San Diego area is State Route 125 or the South Bay Expressway, which is a good route to take if you’re travelling at peak travel times in the morning or evening. Otherwise, it is rarely necessary to travel along this toll road. You will likely come across a number of other toll roads if you drive north to LA. If you plan on crossing numerous toll roads, ask if your rental car company has outfitted your car with a FasTrak transponder to save you time and money.