Car Hire in MalagaNouto
Car Hire in Malaga
Car Rental in Malaga: visiting the largest city along Costa del Sol
Malaga is the largest city along Spain’s Costa del Sol and while it certainly offers visitors the sun and sea attractions for which the entire region is known, it is also a center of gorgeous architecture, thriving arts scenes, and fine dining. Use Malaga as your base to explore the beautiful landscapes of the region at large. Stay mobile via rental car, and make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today!
Temperatures range by about 10 degrees Celsius throughout the year in Malaga, with winter weather hovering around 12 degrees Celsius (54 degrees Fahrenheit) and summer weather around 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit). To avoid rainy days and experience consistent heat that will make you want to dive into the sea, visit between May and September.
The official and most widely spoken language of Spain is Spanish, though Catalan, Basque, and Galician are also recognized as official languages. Many Spanish people have some training in English and French, as well, though these languages are only widely spoken in major tourist areas.
Malaga is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the euro and credit cards are widely accepted. ATMs are also frequently available. You may be asked to show your passport to confirm your identity when paying with a credit card, so it’s prudent to keep it with you at all times.
Car hire in Malaga, Spain is available in 8 locations, including the Malaga Airport (AGP), Malaga Port, downtown, and at the central railway station.
As a member of the Schengen Agreement, Spain accepts visitors visa-free from countries such as the EU, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Australia. Citizens of other countries will be required to apply for a visa before they arrive and are permitted to stay for up to three months.
Driving in Malaga
While central Malaga will be packed with cars and people, a car is the most convenient way to explore Costa del Sol in comfort and at your convenience. If you’re planning on staying in central Malaga, consider renting a car only on the days you drive outside of the city in order to save yourself the cost and stress of parking.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In towns and cities: 50 km/h
- On rural roads and highways: 90 to 100 km/h
- On motorways (autopistas) and expressways (autovías): 120 km/h
- Malaga’s city center is largely car free, so take advantage of street or garage parking just outside of city center. While there is some free parking in the city, it’s very difficult to find. Streets marked blue require payment from 9am to 2pm and from 5pm to 8pm and are typically less expensive than parking in a garage, though you do run a higher risk of your car being run into by reckless drivers in a hurry to park.
- An international driver’s permit is necessary for all travelers whose domestic driver’s licenses have been issued outside of the European Union.
- Most autopistas or major motorways in Spain are tolled.
- The minimum driving age in Spain is 18, though most car rental agencies will require that you are at least 21 to rent. Drivers under the age of 25 are also likely to be issued young-driver surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Malaga
Car hire in Malaga starts as low as $3 a day! Here are some of the best deals in Malaga:
- Toyota Aygo or similar (mini class) – $3/day
- Fiat Panda or similar (economy class) – $4/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $5/day
- Renault Scenic or similar (intermediate class) – $7/day
- Volkswagen Passat or similar (standard class) – $8/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Malaga
There is not much seasonal variation in price for cheap car hire in Malaga, though rental prices inevitably go up in the most popular tourist months simply due to a lack of availability. The best way to get best car hire in Malaga is to book your car just 1 to 3 months in advance of your arrival. This is when local rental agencies such as Del Paso and Record GO offer cars for as low as $3 a day!
For the most diversity in rental cars and rental car agencies and for outrageously low prices, book your car from the Malaga Airport. While there is also a wide variety of rental car options located in and around the central railway station, agencies at the airport can typically beat prices from the railway station by over $10 a day.
You can also typically save at least $5 a day by extending your rental period to over a week. Keep an eye out for discounts of at least 12% that drive your rental car prices down even lower!