Car rental in GrazWhere to pick up
Car rental in Graz
Car rental locations in Graz
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Graz: a perfect mix of old and new Austria
Graz is one of the best preserved cities in Western Europe and is well worth exploring, regardless of whether you fancy beautiful natural surroundings, historical sites, arts and culture, or nightlife. Graz has it all. Make the most of your visit to the capital city of the Austrian province of Styria by thoroughly exploring Graz’s beautiful surroundings in a hire car. Book yours today!
Graz witnesses four distinct seasons each year. For the warmest outdoor temperatures, visit the city between June and August.
Most residents of Graz speak an Austrian dialect of German, though Standard German (or Hochdeutsch) is taught in schools. Younger generations and people in more touristy areas are likely to speak fluent English. Road signs, however, are typically only in German, so having a dictionary or language guidebook on hand is recommended.
Graz is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency, as in most of the European Union, is the euro, and credit cards are accepted at most restaurants and shops. ATMs are also widely available. You will want to have cash on hand for visits to smaller grocery stores, bakeries, and butcheries.
Car hire is available in 2 locations throughout Graz, at the Graz Airport (GRZ) and downtown.
There are a lot of exciting places to visit by car from Graz, such as the Austrian Sculpture Park just south of the city or the Bärenschutzklamm Gorge just 40 km to the north.
As one of the countries that has signed the Schengen Agreement, Austria accepts visitors visa-free from countries such as the EU, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Australia. Citizens of other countries will be required to apply for a visa before they arrive and are permitted to stay for up to three months.
Driving in Graz
Downtown Graz is best navigated on foot. A series of one-way streets and highly regulated parking make driving and parking in Graz more of a hassle than a joy. However, you’ll definitely want to explore Graz’s surroundings, and the most interesting and convenient way to do so is by car, especially because Austria’s inter-city road infrastructure is almost always in great shape.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On highways: 100 km/h
- On the Autobahn: 130 km/h
- Road infrastructure discourages travel by car in central Graz, and you can expect to run into a good deal of rush hour traffic in the morning and late afternoon outside of downtown as well.
- Parking is regulated by time and fee in Graz. The typical time limit for street parking ranges between 2 and 3 hours, so for longer visits to the city center by car, take advantage of frequent (though expensive) underground parking lots.
- An international driver’s permit is required to rent and drive in Austria.
- All of the major highways in Austria require that your car is outfitted with a vignette, the cost of which varies depending on the length of time for which you purchase it. Ask your rental company if they can supply a vignette for you. Some tunnels and mountain passes require the payment of tolls in addition to the vignette.
- While the minimum driving age in Austria is 18, you will likely have to be at least 19 years old to rent a car. Some car rental agencies may require you to be at least 21, and most agencies will charge extra for all drivers under the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Graz
Car hire in Graz typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Graz:
- Skoda Citigo or similar (mini class) – $27/day
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $28/day
- Opel Astra or similar (compact class) – $32/day
- Peugeot 3008 or similar (intermediate class) – $42/day
- Ford Mondeo or similar (standard class) – $46/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Graz
There is some seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Graz, with daily rental prices ranging from $23 to $45 a day throughout the year. Rental car companies at the airport and downtown compete for the best prices throughout the year, so it’s worth your time to explore pricing at both locations.
At either their downtown or airport locations, Global Rent-A-Car offers some of the best prices in Graz. However, Global Rent-A-Car rarely offers such cheap prices for bookings made over 3 months in advance. If you’re willing to risk it, waiting to book may save you up to around $10 a day!
Keep an eye out of discounts starting at around 8% that drive rental prices down as well. You can often save around $12 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!