Car rental in ZagrebWhere to pick up
Car rental in Zagreb
Car rental locations in Zagreb
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Zagreb: a perfect starting point for a visit to Croatia
Croatia’s capital is a bustling city with a beautiful medieval center and fascinating shops tucked into every imaginable space. Zagreb is the hub of virtually every major highway in the area, and though the streets are packed downtown, Zagreb is an excellent base from which to explore the rolling hills of northern Croatia before you head out to the Mediterranean coastline. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today!
Zagreb is great fun to visit in the spring and summer, when the weather is comfortably warm and the city is buzzing with festivals and other activities.
Croatian is primarily spoken and is a Slavic language quite similar to Serbian and Bosnian. Croatians working in the tourist industry will speak good English, though you’re likely to find that primary second languages throughout the country are German, Italian, and Russian.
Zagreb is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency throughout Croatia is the kuna (denoted as kn or HRK). While some shops will accept euros and/or major credit cards, it’s a good idea to have kuna on hand for any financial transactions throughout the country. ATMs are readily available in any city.
Car hire is available in nine locations throughout Zagreb, including the Zagreb International Airport (also known as Franjo Tuđman Airport, ZAG), the central railway station, and downtown.
Croatia has not yet signed the Schengen Agreement, though its visa regulations are similar. Citizens of countries that belong to the European Union and/or the European Free Trade Area can typically enter Croatia with only a valid ID card. All other nationalities will require a passport to enter. Double-check entry requirements for your nationality, as some may have to apply for a visa before they arrive. Visa applications fees are $35.
Driving in Zagreb
It’s unlikely that you will need a rental car to explore central Zageb, but journeys out into the Croatian countryside – such as to Plitvice Lakes National Park 2 hours to the south – are highly recommended. These journeys are the most comfortable and convenient when made by rental car.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On rural roads: 90 km/h
- On expressways: 110 km/h
- On freeways: 130 km/h
- Traffic is particularly bad during morning and evening rush hours, from 7:30-9:30 am and 4:30-6:30 pm, though you’ll likely find that traffic jams also develop at any time of the day in Zagreb.
- Street parking is progressively more expensive the closer you get to city center, where parking costs 6 kn an hour. Particularly if it’s necessary for you to park downtown, consider parking in one of the numerous garages where you’re more likely to find a parking spot, and where the hourly fees are often slightly cheaper.
- An international driver’s permit is recommended for driving in Croatia, particularly for any interactions with the police. Be sure you also have your valid driver’s license with you at all times.
- The major freeways in Croatia are tolled. Fees are payable at tollbooths by cash or electronic toll collection. Ask your rental car company to outfit your car with an electronic transponder.
- The minimum driving age in Croatia is 18 and most rental companies will rent cars to drivers this young, though you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Zagreb
Car hire in Zagreb typically varies between $4 and $30 a day, depending on the season. Here are some of the best deals in Zagreb:
- Chevrolet Spark or similar (mini class) – $4/day
- Opel Corsa or similar (economy class) – $5/day
- Chevrolet Aveo or similar (compact class) – $8/day
- Skoda Octavia or similar (intermediate class) – $14/day
- Volkswagen Passat or similar (standard class) – $15/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Zagreb
There is significant seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Zagreb. While you can rent cars for as low as $2.50 in the winter months, a more typical summer rental price lies between $15 and $30 a day. If you’re planning on visiting Zagreb in the summer, it’s a good idea to book your car well in advance. Any other time of the year, you may find that you get the cheapest prices by booking just one or two months in advance of your arrival.
Depending on the season, rental cars from companies located in downtown Zagreb beat the prices offered at the airport. Still, companies at the airport such as Gold Car, NU, and Green Motion offer excellent prices all year round.
Keep an eye out for discounts of 11% and up. Particularly if you are renting a car in the more expensive seasons, you are likely to find that extending your rental period to over a week can save you at least $3 a day.