Car Hire in BordeauxWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Bordeaux
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Bordeaux: greatest wine region in France
Bordeaux is a beautiful and enjoyable city to explore, with incredible eateries, shops, and feats of architecture nestled together between the banks of the Garonne River and the Atlantic coast. While you don’t need a car to navigate the highly walkable Bordeaux, you will certainly want to rent a car to explore the region in full, including a drive out to the renowned vineyards of St. Emilion. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today!
The most enjoyable time to visit Bordeaux in terms of weather is from June through August, but if you want to avoid the crowds, plan to visit the city in the shoulder seasons.
French is the official language of France and attempts to speak French are appreciated throughout the country; although many French people have learned some English, fluency is limited anywhere outside of the most popular tourist destinations.
Bordeaux is located in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency in France is the euro, and credit cards are widely accepted throughout the country. Still, it’s advisable to visit the ATMs found all over the city and have some cash on hand for bakeries and other smaller shops.
Car hire is available in 9 locations throughout Bordeaux, including the Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport (BOD), the railway station, downtown, and at Chateau Rouquey.
There are a variety of excellent sights in the Bordeaux area! Consider, for instance, making a day-trip to the beach, such as to Dune du Pilat, 66 km southwest of the city. A visit to Bordeaux would also be useless without exploring the vineyards of the area. St. Emilion is a wonderful town to visit, located just 40 km east of the city.
As a signing member of the Schengen Agreement, France accepts visitors from many countries around the world visa-free for up to 90 days. Double check entry requirements for your nationality before you depart, as you may be required to apply for a visa before you leave or to register your arrival at a police or border control station once you do arrive.
Driving in Bordeaux
While a car is nothing but a hassle in central Bordeaux, where streets are narrow and often reserved for pedestrians, you’ll certainly want a car to explore its surroundings. Head west to the beach or east to some of the world’s most spectacular vineyards.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- Two- to three-lane highways: 90 to 110 km/h
- Rural four-lane highways: 130 km/h
- Avoid entering the city during morning rush hour (typically from 7 am to 9 am) or leaving the city during evening rush hour (around 4 pm to 6 pm).
- Street parking is limited in Bordeaux, particularly in the center of the city. Parking garages are typically more expensive the closer you get to city center, so if you can’t find a hotel with complementary off-street parking, consider parking in a secure garage on the outskirts of the city and commuting in via tram.
- Your domestic driver’s license is sufficient for driving and renting in France, provided it is valid for the length of your rental contract.
- Many of France’s motorways are tolled. You’ll pick up a ticket marking your entry onto the highway, which you will require for the calculation of your toll when you ultimately exit the highway again.
- The minimum driving age in France is 18 years old. You will likely have to be at least 21 years old to rent a car and will face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Bordeaux
Car hire in Bordeaux typically starts at around $20 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Bordeaux:
- Fiat 500 or similar (mini class) – $24/day
- Ford Fiesta or similar (economy class) – $26/day
- Opel Astra or similar (compact class) – $28/day
- Peugeot 3008 or similar (intermediate class) – $39/day
- Renault Scenic or similar (standard class) – $40/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Bordeaux
There is some seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Bordeaux, where even the cheapest rental options rise to around $30 a day in the summer months, particularly July and August. In all other months, you can typically book a rental car from a variety of budget hire companies at the Bordeaux Airport (BOD) for around $20 a day. Payless and InterRent often liaise with Economy Bookings to offer especially cheap car hire deals at this location.
Companies like EuropCar and Enterprise, located at a variety of locations downtown, can often meet this price of $20 a day if you extend your rental period to over a week.
Keep an eye out for discounts of around 11% that reduce rental prices in the Bordeaux area.