Car Hire in CorfuUpphämtningsplats
Hyr bil plats i Corfu
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Corfu: visiting an authentic Greece
Corfu is a favorite destination for European families who want to enjoy the sea and landscape of this northernmost Ionian island. Corfu is an especially great place to relax, though exploring the island and nearby mainland by car is also a great activity for travellers who want to see a little more authentic Greece. Get off the beaten track via rental car, and make the most of your visit by booking your car today!
Most travellers visit Corfu in July and August, though spring and fall are also beautiful times of the year to visit the island and offer visitors fairly good weather.
Greek is the official language of Greece. English is widely spoken, and many Greek people also speak some French, Italian, and German. Road signs are typically in Greek, though often include transliterations into the Latin alphabet.
Corfu is in the Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+2.
The euro is the currency in Greece, and it is good practice to have cash on hand for your day-to-day financial transactions. Be aware that ATMs may quickly run out of currency.
Cheap car hire in Corfu is available in 15 locations, including the Corfu International Airport (CFU), the Corfu Port, and downtown Corfu Town.
Corfu is a great island to explore by car. Southernmost Kavos is located just over an hour south of Corfu Town, whereas Kassiopi is located about an hour to the north. Depending on how often you stop, you can circumnavigate the island in a day.
As a Schengen country, Greece accepts visitors from many countries around the world visa-free for up to 90 days. Double check entry requirements for your nationality, as you may be required to apply for a visa in advance of your departure.
Driving in Corfu
While many of Corfu’s narrow roads are not often routinely maintained, exploring Corfu by car is a great way to discover the island in comfort and at your convenience. Renting a smaller car is recommended, simply to ease driving on narrow roads and parking in small spaces.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Corfu, as throughout the rest of continental Europe.
- In cities: 50 km/h
- On rural roads: 80 to 90 km/h
- On major highways: 100 to 120 km/h
- There are numerous parking lots in and near Corfu Town, as well as across the island, though you will have to pay to park at any conveniently located lots.
- Drivers from anywhere outside the European Union will require an international driver’s permit in addition to their valid domestic driver’s license in order to rent and drive in Greece.
- Almost all the major expressways through Greece are tolled; have cash on hand to pay the tolls at booths.
- The minimum driving age in Greece is 18. Most rental companies will require you to be at least 21 or even 23 years of age in order to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Road construction is being undertaken in Greece at a rapid rate, so make sure you have the most up to date maps or satnav/GPS software to ease your navigation of the country.
Cheap Car Rental in Corfu
Car hire in Corfu typically starts at around $10 a day in the off-season and $20 a day in the popular summer months. Here are some of the best deals in Corfu:
- Suzuki Celerio or similar (mini class) – $12/day
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $14/day
- Fiat Grande Punto or similar (compact class) – $15/day
- Toyota Corolla or similar (intermediate class) – $16/day
- Hyundai I30 or similar (standard class) – $21/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Corfu
While you can certainly rent a car for around $10 a day almost year-round in Corfu, prices begin going up for tourist season in June. Throughout the island, prices typically start around $20 a day in June and around $30 a day in July and August. Keep an eye out for discounts of 15% to save money during these summer months. Particularly if you want to drive an automatic transmission, be sure to book a car far in advance of your arrival.
If you are travelling to Corfu at any other time of year, there’s no good or bad time to book a car. You can book just days before you arrive and typically receive good prices at a number of locations, including the Corfu International Airport (CFU), the Corfu Port, and downtown Corfu Town. Across these locations, agencies such as Abby Car, Tolis Motor, Caldera Car Hire, and Budget’s offer cheap rental car prices.
At many of these agencies, if you extend your rental period to over a week, you can save at least $2 a day!