Car Hire in RhodesWhere to pick up
Car Hire in Rhodes
Car rental locations in Rhodes
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car rental in Rhodes: The Island of the Knights
The limitless natural, historical and architectural beauty that travelers find in Rhodes makes this destination one of the most sought-after parts of Greece to visit after the mainland itself. Rhodes has everything you could want from an Aegean island soaked in sun. From ancient city walls and castles to forests to mountain peaks and beautiful beaches, visitors are never in want of new things to explore.
Things to do in Rhodes
Rhodes is situated on one of Greece's southern-most islands, which means better weather than mainland Greece, and warm seas for most of the year.
Of the many things to do, day trips are very popular. Putting your rental car onto a ferry and going over to Turkey for a day or two is easy to do, as is heading to Crete or any of the other nearby Greek islands. With each destination having its own distinctive characteristics, day trips make for a well-varied vacation. You don't have to leave Rhodes to have a good time, of course. The island is quite large, and you will find ancient ruins, museums, beaches and much more scattered throughout. There is so much to do, in fact, that cheap car hire in Rhodes is one of the only ways to take in all that this island has to offer.
When to Visit
Summer in Rhodes is around 80℉ on average, which is perfect for a whole range of great activities, such as night walks on the beaches, walking tours among the city's historic marvels, and swimming in crystal-clear waters. The downside of visiting in the summer is the island’s popularity as a tourist destination. The island will be crowded, and everything from vehicle rentals to hotel rooms will be more expensive in the summer months.
If you don't mind going when the weather is cooler, you may not be able to spend the day in the sea, but you can still enjoy the city and all it has to offer. Tourists are fewer, and everything is cheaper, making non-peak months more pleasurable for some travelers. Even in mid-winter, temperatures average at about 45℉, which isn't too bad with a decent jacket.
Cheap Car Rentals
Renting a car in Rhodes is convenient and inexpensive. Airport pickups are popular, but you will also find many other locations within the city with great deals. To find the best price, be sure to rent your vehicle prior to arriving in Greece. Car hire in Rhodes typically starts at just below $8 a day. Below are some of the deals currently on offer:
- Peugeot 108 or similar (mini class) – $8/day
- Fiat 500 or similar (economy class) – $9/day
- Opel Astra or similar (compact class) – $12/day
- Hyundai I30 or similar (intermediate class) – $19/day
- Ford Focus or similar (standard class) – $28/day
Prices are subject to change depending on several criteria, including the type of automobile, time of year, and duration of the rental.
How to Save Money
It’s cheaper to rent a car for a full week, rather than per day. A vehicle that is rented for one week which is priced at $9 per day can cost $25 per day when rented for just two days.
Do some research and book your vehicle in advance - you can save quite a bit of money by pre-ordering your car a few months before you arrive.
The winter months are also cheaper, with summer seeing a price increase of approximately 50% due to the increase in tourists.
Renting a car from the airport is cheaper by approximately 25% than renting from the downtown area. All the same companies and vehicle models are available at the airport, as well, and you may find it more convenient to be able to hop into a car as soon as you land. Interested in car hire in Rhodes Town? It is also available!
Driving Tips for Greece
- Road signs are mostly bilingual in Greece. Combined with a GPS unit and signs you can understand, all the country's exploration opportunities are at your fingertips
- The legal driving age in Greece is 21, and to rent a car in Greece, you be at least 21 and must possess an international driving permit. For drivers under 25, there is usually an extra surcharge applied
- The law requires that you have at least basic liability insurance for any vehicle you drive. Rental car companies provide the base insurance to their customers, but it is a good idea to find out exactly what is covered; you may wish to opt for a higher level of coverage.
- Toll roads are inexpensive, coming in anywhere between $1 to $3, and are the easiest, fastest and safest roads to use while driving long distances.
- Throughout the country, there is no shortage of clean, modern gas stations that offer a complete range of services.
Greece has three main speed limits which are set for roads in different parts of the county. Highways have a speed limit of 75mph, rural roads are set at 50mph, and within city limits, you cannot drive faster than 30mph.