Car rental in BudvaWhere to pick up
Car rental in Budva
Car rental locations in Budva
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Budva: driving the Miami of Montenegro
Budva, lovingly called the Miami of Montenegro, is an excellent city to visit for beach-side lounging, a vibrant nightlife, and old-world tourist attractions alike. With numerous resorts and beaches, Budva is the perfect place to relax in-between adventures into the Montenegrin countryside. Though driving in the city itself can be stressful, you’ll certainly want a car to make the most of your visit while fully exploring Budva’s surroundings – or even heading along the beautiful coastal road to Dubrovnik, Croatia. Book you rental car today.
June and July are some of the most beautiful months to visit Budva, but everyone else knows that too, so you can expect prices to rise and restaurants and beaches to be crowded during these months. The weather is typically sunny and warm April through September.
Montenegrin is the official language of the country and is quite similar to Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian. English, Russian, German, and Italian are the primary second languages of Montenegrins, though proficiency in these languages varies from region to region. English is spoken most along the coast. Road signs are likely to be in the Latin alphabet.
Budva is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the euro. ATMs are now quite frequent throughout the country, particularly in major cities. While restaurants and large shops will accept credit cards, you’ll want to have cash on hand for all other exchanges.
Car hire is available in 3 locations throughout Budva, including at the Hotel Avala, via delivery to other hotels, and downtown.
There are some gorgeous drives and beautiful sights in the Budva area. Drive, for instance, the entire Bay of Kotor for some spectacular views. The city of Kotor itself is also well worth a stop, located just 23 km north of Budva.
Citizens from over 60 different nations can visit Montenegro visa-free for up to 90 days. Travellers with valid Schengen and US visas are also permitted to enter for up to 7 days without a visa. It’s a good idea to check visa regulations for your nationality before you plan to travel.
Driving in Budva
Driving in central Budva is not very enjoyable. The streets are narrow and crowded and parking is quite difficult to find. Make the most of your self-drive tour of Montenegro by renting your car only on the days you plan to leave the city.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On highways: 80 km/h
- Because highways are narrow, roads can get crowded during busy times of the day or the year. Don’t be tempted to pass as haphazardly as the locals do!
- Parking in Budva is available only for a fee and is very difficult to find. If it’s necessary for you to keep your car while visiting, ask your hotel staff for tips on the safest and cheapest places to park.
- While an international driver’s permit is not legally necessary in Montenegro, most rental car agencies will require that you have one in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license in order to rent a car.
- Headlights and seat belts are obligatory at all times.
- At the time of writing, there were no toll roads in Montenegro.
- The minimum driving age in Montenegro is 18, and while some car rental agencies will rent to drivers this young, one or two years of driving experience is required. Drivers under the age of 25 are also likely to face surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Budva
Car hire in Budva typically starts at around $11 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Budva:
- Chevrolet Spark or similar (mini class) – $12/day
- Toyota Yaris or similar (economy class) – $14/day
- Opel Astra or similar (compact class) – $15/day
- Skoda Octavia or similar (intermediate class) – $34/day
- Hyundai I30 or similar (standard class) – $35/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Budva
There is some seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Budva, where prices can rise by $20 to a high of $30 in the summer. Regardless of when you plan to drive through Budva, however, you’re likely to get the best deals on rental cars by booking your car 1 to 2 months in advance of your arrival. At short notice, companies such as Surprice can sometimes offer daily prices under $10 a day!
The cheapest locations from which to rent are via delivery within city limits or downtown, and you should definitely check the prices of each option to ensure that you are getting the best deal for your rental period. Discounts of 8% from Surprice and Avis/Economy Bookings and up are often particularly cheap!
Your rental price is likely to be even cheaper if you extend your rental period to over a week!