Car rental in NiksicWhere to pick up
Car rental in Niksic
Car rental locations in Niksic
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Nikšić: the perfect starting point to discover Montenegro
The second largest city in Montenegro, Nikšić is not well known as a tourist site, but makes a good base for exploring the center of the country. Whether you enjoy hiking or driving, Nikšić is well worth visiting, even if only for a short time. Make the most of your visit with a rental car. Book yours today!
Nikšić is particularly comfortable to visit from May through October, making the city an excellent place to escape the heat and flocks of tourist that visit Montenegro’s coast in July and August.
Montenegrin is the official language of the country, a language that is quite similar to Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian. English, Russian, German, and Italian are the most commonly spoken second languages of Montenegrins, though the frequency of these language speakers depends on the region. Road signs are likely to be in the Latin alphabet.
Nikšić is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the euro. ATMs are now quite frequent throughout the country, particularly in major cities. While restaurants and large shops will accept credit cards, you’ll want to have cash on hand for all other exchanges.
Car hire is available in Nikšić via delivery within the city limits.
There are many excellent cities to visit in Montenegro, so make the most of your visit by exploring more of the country by car during your stay. One of the most popular destinations in the Nikšić area is the Ostrog Monastery, located 25 km southwest of the city.
However, longer road trips are also well worth your time. Drive, for instance, one and a half hours south to Herceg Novi, a charming town worth exploring for a day or two. Then follow the beautiful E65 highway east along the coast of the Bay of Kotor for some breathtaking natural sights. Kotor, one hour west of Herceg Novi, is also a beautiful spot.
Montenegro’s national parks are also excellent destinations. Head, for instance, to Durmitor National Park, one of the most beautiful destinations in Montenegro, located just 78 km north of Nikšić. Alternatively, head south to the Mediterranean Coast to visit Lake Skadar National Park, about 80 kilometers away.
Citizens from over 60 different nations can visit Montenegro visa-free for up to 90 days. Travellers with valid Schengen and US visas are also permitted to enter for up to 7 days without a visa. It is a good idea to check visa regulations for your nationality before you plan to travel.
Driving in Nikšić
Nikšić is one of Montenegro’s major industrial centers, so be sure to avoid the roads during morning and afternoon rush hours. Otherwise, the city is fairly navigable by car, and because the city is not a major tourist spot, you’ll definitely want to stay mobile with a hire car.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- Highways: 80 km/h
- In cities and towns: 50 km/h
- Because highways are narrow, roads can get crowded during busy times of the day or the year. Don’t be tempted to pass as haphazardly as the locals do!
- Particularly in cities, keep an eye out for frequent jaywalking.
- Parking can be a challenge in Nikšić, so ask your hosts or hotel staff for tips on where to park your rental car securely and at the most affordable price.
- While an international driver’s permit is not legally necessary in Montenegro, most rental car agencies will require that you have one in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license to be able to rent a car.
- Headlights and seat belts are obligatory at all times.
- At the time of writing, there were no toll roads in Montenegro.
- The minimum driving age in Montenegro is 18, and while some car rental agencies will rent to drivers this young, one or two years of driving experience is required. Drivers under the age of 25 are also likely to face surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Nikšić
Car hire in Nikšić typically starts at around $27 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Nikšić:
- Toyota Aygo or similar (economy class) – $22/day
- Toyota Auris or similar (compact class) – $29/day
- Toyota Prius or similar (intermediate class) – $49/day
- Opel Insignia or similar (standard class) – $54/day
- Hyundai Tucson t or similar (fullsize class) – $62/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Nikšić
Rental cars are available in Nikšić via delivery within the city limits. The cheapest rental car company in the area is Stella Car. For the most availability and diversity, book your car just 1 to 2 months within your planned arrival. You are also likely to find that the price of hire cars decreases by around $10 a day when you extend your rental period to over a week!