Car rental in PodgoricaWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Podgorica
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Podgorica: driving the capital of Montenegro
The capital of Montenegro and a very long-inhabited city, Podgorica is a great base for exploring the beautiful country. Though not a city that attracts the masses, Podgorica offers visitors exciting nightlife opportunities and fascinating cultural sites, both old and new. Podgorica is an especially great first stop when driving through Montenegro’s rocky northern territory or southern Mediterranean coastline. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today.
Late spring and early summer are the most comfortable times of the year to visit Podgorica, which quickly becomes hot and humid in the summer months.
Montenegrin is the official language of the country, a language that is quite similar to Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian. English, Russian, German, and Italian are the most commonly spoken second languages of Montenegrins, though the frequency of these speakers depends on the region. English is most likely spoken along the coast. Road signs are likely to be in the Latin alphabet.
Podgorica is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the euro. ATMs are now quite frequent throughout the country, particularly in major cities. While restaurants and large shops will accept credit cards, you’ll want to have cash on hand for all other exchanges.
Car hire is available in 5 locations throughout Podgorica, including the Podgorica Airport (LYPG/TDG) and downtown.
Citizens from over 60 different nations can visit Montenegro visa-free for up to 90 days. Travellers with valid Schengen and US visas are also permitted to enter for up to 7 days without a visa. It is a good idea to check visa regulations for your nationality before you plan to travel.
Driving in Podgorica
Though Podgorica is fairly easy to navigate, you can expect roads to occasionally become busy throughout the day. Your stay in the city will be much more comfortable if you are able to book a hotel with off-street parking so you can avoid the stress of finding a secure location to park your rental car whenever you don’t need it.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- Highways: 80 km/h
- In cities and towns: 50 km/h
- Because highways are narrow, roads can get crowded during busy times of the day or the year. Don’t be tempted to pass as haphazardly as the locals do!
- Particularly in cities, keep an eye out for frequent jaywalking.
- Finding a parking spot can be a real challenge in Podgorica, though compared to other cities in Western Europe, street parking is relatively cheap, costing around 40 to 80 cents an hour. Ask your hotel staff for tips on where to park.
- While an international driver’s permit is not legally necessary in Montenegro, most rental car agencies will require that you have one in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license to be able to rent a car.
- Headlights and seat belts are obligatory at all times.
- At the time of writing, there were no toll roads in Montenegro.
- The minimum driving age in Montenegro is 18, and while some car rental agencies will rent to drivers this young, one or two years of driving experience is required. Drivers under the age of 25 are also likely to face surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Podgorica
Car hire in Podgorica typically starts at around $15 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Podgorica:
- Fiat Panda or similar (mini class) – $15/day
- Hyundai I20 or similar (economy class) – $16/day
- Skoda Rapid or similar (compact class) – $17/day
- Mazda 3 or similar (intermediate class) – $28/day
- Hyundai I30 or similar (standard class) – $34/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Podgorica
Prices for rental cars range substantially in Podgorica depending on the season in which you rent, the location from which you rent, and how far in advance you book your car. In the most expensive seasons, rental cars can cost as much as $30 a day. Particularly if you are planning on driving in and around Podgorica in the off-season, you can get some excellent car hire deals by waiting to book until two to three weeks before you arrive. You will want to plan ahead if you are travelling in the popular summer months.
By far the cheapest rental car agency in Podgorica is Surprice Car Rentals. Prices vary according to their location, such as at the airport or downtown, so it is well worth your time to look for the best prices at all of Economy Booking’s Podgorica locations.
Depending on the season, internationally recognized rental car companies such as Enterprise, Hertz, and Green Motion can also offer competitive prices.
You can also often save between $2 and $8 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.