Car rental in MadeiraVõtmiskoht
Car rental in Madeira
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Madeira and its Eternal Spring
This Portuguese archipelago is highly popular for its balmy weather almost all year round. A short flight from the mainland, it has become one of the more sought-after vacation destinations in recent years. Exploration of the islands is easy, but for the best experience, hiring a car is the best way forward as it gives a level of freedom that public transport is unable to provide. In fact, driving around affords you with exceptional views and some stunning roads on which to drive. The revamped road system includes some rather spectacular bridges and tunnels all nestled into the natural beauty of the island.
What to See in Madeira
Madeira offers a wide range of options that cater to almost any tourist desire. For the most part attractions center on the local culture and nature. The capital, Funchal, is a must and for most visitors this is where you will arrive. Visit the old town and head to the market to get some of the local produce. Rua de Santa Maria offers an insight into the local street art and way of life. Taking your vehicle and driving some of the many coastal roads is also a must. The island itself is only 300 square miles, making it easy to see a lot of things even if your trip is a short one, and the scenery is spectacular. Many of the roads offer sheer cliffs to one side and the azure sea on the other.
Heading up to Porto Moniz will reward you with natural salt-water pools, all protected by volcanic rocks. These are refilled when the sea comes in and make for a very refreshing break on a long car journey. Continuing the theme of the sea, this area is one of the best to see dolphins and whales. A trip out onto the ocean can reward you with a glimpse of one of 29 species prevalent in the area.
Saving on the Vehicle Rental
Rental car costs will depend on the time of year that you visit. However, for the most part vehicle hire in Madeira is usually around $10 per day for the smaller cars and this can go up to around $50 for the larger ones. For the best prices though, renting a car for a longer period will see the daily price drop dramatically.
- Fiat Panda or similar (mini class) – $24/day
- Ford Ka or similar (economy class) – $25/day
- Seat Ibiza or similar (compact class) – $32/day
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class or similar (intermediate class) – $48/day
- Ford Focus C-Max or similar (standard class) – $58/day
Listed above are a few of the prices you can expect but it should be noted that these prices will depend on the dates and the vehicle class. You can perform your own search at the top of the page to find out all options that are available to you. Bear in mind that collection and drop off points will also have a bearing on the overall price.
How to Get the Cheapest Car Hire
There are a few key ways to get a cheaper rental deal when it comes to car hire. For example, check when the off-peak times of the year are, and travel during that time. You can shop around through our convenient comparison site, comparing different companies to find the best deal. Being organized can also affect the price, with some rentals being cheaper when they are booked a few months in advance.
Booking for a period of a week will also see a significant price drop. For example, a one-week trip in Madeira will be around $9 per day but a three-day trip sits at $10 per day.
Renting a vehicle from the Madeira Downtown area or the Funchal Airport are both significantly cheaper than renting from the Madeira Santa Cruz area, and, for a truly good deal, drop off the car back at the same point you picked it up from. This is simply because the company will be forced to add extra fees as they need to get the car back to the original depot.
Road Rules in Madeira
- Madeira follows the same rules of the road as Portugal, which means driving on the right side of the road.
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol
- Safety belts must be worn in both the front and back of the vehicle
- There is a speed limit of 50 miles per hour on secondary roads and 75 miles per hour on the highway
Regulations on Rental Cars
- You must have a valid driver’s license and all necessary permits for driving on a road. All driving licenses from outside the country must be registered with the DGV in order to drive even a rental vehicle.
- Passports or some ID will be required when renting the car.
- Check all surcharges, as some are added on arrival instead of being advertised online.