Car rental in Cluj NapocaWhere to pick up
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Cluj-Napoca: the historical capital of Transylvania
Cluj, as it’s called colloquially, is a great stop for visitors to the historical region of Transylvania. Still a relatively small town, Cluj offers visitors fine dining and numerous modes of cultural and historical exploration. Make the most of your visit by comfortably staying mobile with a rental car! Book your car today.
Visit Cluj-Napoca in the shoulder seasons, particularly May to July and August to September, for the most comfortable weather and the most beautiful flora.
Romanian is the official and most frequently spoken language of Romania, though Hungarian and Romany are also frequently spoken in Cluj-Napoca. Most younger, educated Romanians speak fairly good English, in addition to other major European languages, such as French and Italian.
Cluj-Napoca is located in the Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+2.
The currency inRomaniais the leu (plural “lei”). Most transactions throughout Romania occur via cash, so take advantage of frequent ATMs in major cities and airports or exchange money at a bank.
Automobile hire is available in 2 locations throughout Cluj-Napoca, Avram Iancu Cluj International Airport, also known as Cluj Napoca Airport (CLJ), and downtown.
Cluj is an excellent base from which to embark on a number of different road trips:
- Experience the old Hungarian traditions and Protestant churches in Valeni, Sancraiu and Manastireni on your way to Huedin, about 60 km west of Cluj.
- Head 40 km northeast to Sic and explore the Transylvanian or Ardeal Delta in depth.
- Rimitea Village, located 60 km south of Cluj, is well worth a visit to experience Romanian village life now and in the past, as well as for lovers of a good hike and excellent views.
Citizens of the European Union, Canada, Japan, and the United States, as well as citizens of member countries of the European Free Trade Area, can visit Romania visa-free for up to three months. All other nationalities will require a visa to enter the country, which they can apply for at their local Romanian embassy. Visas can typically be quickly processed in cities such as Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Driving in Cluj-Napoca
While there is adequate public transportation infrastructure in Cluj, the city is also very drivable. Driving defensively is always recommended in new cities, but you’ll likely find that the streets in Cluj are fairly easy to navigate, and a rental car will greatly improve your access to the surrounding sights and activities.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In cities and towns: 50 km/h
- Rural roads: 90 km/h
- Expressways and national roads: 100 km/h
- There are three motorways (autostrade) in Romania, the A1, 2, and 3. The speed limit is 130 km/h.
- Speed limits are enforced via speed traps by car and helicopter throughout the country.
- Though you’re unlikely to come to a stand still, avoiding driving during morning and evening rush hour is recommended in Cluj.
- There are over 3,000 metered parking spots throughout Cluj, and parking at officially marked spots is recommended. You can distinguish these spots due to blue street signs marked with a white P. A full day’s parking typically costs around 9.50 lei.
- In addition to your valid domestic driver’s license, an international driver’s permit is required to rent and drive a car in Romania.
- Vignettes are required on Romania’s motorways.
- While the minimum driving age in Romania is 18, you will have to be 21 years old to rent a car and you can expect to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Cluj-Napoca
Automobile hire in Cluj-Napoca typically starts at around $10 a day, but you can find deals that start as low as $4 a day! Here are some of the best deals in Cluj:
- Volkswagen Up or similar (mini class) – $4/day
- Opel Corsa or similar (economy class) – $6/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $7/day
- Hyundai Elantra or similar (intermediate class) – $12/day
- Dacia Duster or similar (standard class) – $24/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Cluj-Napoca
At any point of the year, car rental typically costs between $10 and $15 a day in Cluj-Napoca. However, if you book 1 to 3 months in advance of your departure, you can often find cars as cheap as $4 a day, regardless of whether you book your car from the airport or downtown. Klass Wagen car rentals is responsible for these unbeatable prices, and they have locations throughout Cluj-Napoca.
Internationally renowned rental agencies, such as Europcar, also have rentals available in Cluj-Napoca, but their prices are typically around $20 higher than local companies such as Klass Wagen and Autonom Rent-A-Car.
If you haven’t found a deal of $4 a day, however, you can typically rent a car for around $8 a day if you extend your rental period to over a week.