Car Rental in TucsonWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Tucson
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Tucson: An Excellent Base from which to Rent a Car and Explore the Sonoran Desert
Tucson is located at a crossroads of cultures that have been travelling through the region before and after Christopher Columbus sailed to America. As a historically good source of water despite its location in the Sonoran Desert, many cultures have left their imprints in the Tucson area, particularly the Hohokam, the Spanish, and since the 1850s, Americans. The most independent and comfortable way to explore this incredible region to its fullest is via car hire. Here is a brief guide to finding the cheapest rental cars in Tucson, AZ.
Important Facts about Tucson
- Pronunciation of Tucson: “Too-sahn”
- Language: While most residents of Tucson speak English as their native language, many are also fluent in Spanish.
Get the Best Deal on Tucson Auto Rentals at EconomyBookings.com
Tucson rental cars are available in over 15 locations throughout the city, including the Tucson Airport (TUS), downtown, and in Tucson East and Northeast. Tucson car hire typically starts at $40, though will find that prices rise in the popular tourist seasons, such as Christmas and during the month of August.
Tips for Finding Cheap Car Rentals in Tucson
The best way to save money on rental cars in Tucson is by extending your rental period to over a week. Daily rates drop for longer-term car rentals in Tucson to below $35 a day!
Regardless of how long you need a rental car, the best location to find great deals on economy rental cars in Tucson, Arizona is at the Tucson International Airport, located about 9 miles south of downtown Tucson. See more information on picking up your rental car at the Tucson Airport below.
Even if you are not arriving to Tucson via the Tucson Airport, it may be worth your time to travel to the airport to pick up your rental car, as the numerous rental car companies located at the airport compete to offer customers the best prices on rental cars in the area.
The second cheapest rental car location in Tucson is typically downtown, where Avis offers short-term economy rental cars for around $60 a day.
Especially if you’re travelling to Tucson during popular tourist seasons, it is worth your time to check the prices of rental cars in other locations around the city, as availability may be low at the airport, resulting in higher prices.
Car Rental at the Tucson Airport in Arizona
More than seven companies offer car rental at the Tucson International Airport, which is why daily rates for rental cars at the airport are typically the cheapest in the city!
Dollar, Alamo, and Hertz are just three of the rental car companies located in the Tucson Airport Rental Car Center, which is located within walking distance, just east of the main terminal. In order to get to the Rental Car Center after arriving, proceed to Baggage Claim 7 and then take the moving sidewalk. If you need to access a rental car from Departures, head to the ramp just east of the security entrance.
When you return your rental car to the Tucson Airport, simply follow the signs to “Rental Cars.” Be sure not to follow signs to the parking garage unless specifically instructed to do so by your rental car company. In most cases, you will return your car to the separate parking garage located behind the Rental Car Center itself.
If you have rented a car from Thrifty, you will need to arrange for pickup to be transported from the Tucson Airport Rental Car Center to Thrifty’s off-site location. You can wait for the Thrifty shuttle outside the Rental Car Center.
Key Things to Remember: Car Rental in Tucson, AZ
Parking in Tucson, Arizona
- Driving in Tucson is fairly easy, particularly because there are plenty of parking spaces available.
- While street parking can be difficult to find during events or the busiest hours of the workday, it is a very convenient way to explore downtown Tucson. On-street parking spots cost $1 an hour in downtown Tucson and are free after 5 pm and all day on the weekends.
- If you are having trouble finding an on-street parking spot, take advantage of the almost 4000 spaces located in parking garages and lots throughout the city, where you can often find daily rates of $3 to $5!
- Tucson is located just one hour from the Mexican border at Nogales. If you are interested in driving into Mexico with your Tucson rental car, be sure to discuss your plans first with your rental car company. Some surcharges may apply for international travel with your rental car, and you will need proper documentation—typically including extra insurance—in order to be permitted to drive in Mexico.