Car Rental at Detroit Metro AirportWhere to pick up
Car Rental at Detroit Metro Airport
Car rental locations in Detroit
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental at the Detroit Airport
The Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport is the largest airport in Michigan and an excellent spot from which to book your Michigan rental car. Explore Michigan, the Great Lakes, and the American Midwest to their fullest by staying mobile and independent with your rental car. Here is a brief guide to finding the cheapest car rental at the Detroit Metro Airport.
Important Facts about the Detroit Metro Airport
- Physical address:
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
Detroit, MI 48242, USA
- Website address: www.metroairport.com
- Contact information:
o By telephone: dial (734) AIRPORT (247-7678)
- § This phone number is answered by an automated service 24/7. If you need to speak directly to a customer service representative, call between 8 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
o To send an email, scroll to the bottom of this website and fill out the online form: https://www.metroairport.com/about-us/contact-us
- International Air Transport Association code: DTW
- The Detroit Metro Airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Detroit Metro Airport is comprised of two distinct terminals, the North Terminal and the McNamara Terminal. The McNamara Terminal serves Delta and its partners, including Aeromexico and Air France. All other airlines fly through the North Terminal.
Get the Best Deal on DTW Car Rental at EconomyBookings.com
DTW Airport car rental typically starts at around $50 a day. Over 5 car rental companies serve the Detroit Metro Airport.
The major rental car companies that serve the Detroit Metro Airport are located on the Rental Car Campus, northeast of both terminals. You can take the shuttle from either terminal to the Rental Car Campus after you pick up your bags. Rental car shuttles stop at the Ground Transportation Centers of both terminals. The Ground Transportation Centers are located in the McNamara Terminal Parking Garage and on the Big Blue Deck of the North Terminal.
The car rental companies with locations at the Detroit Metro Airport Rental Car Campus include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, and Thrifty.
If you have rented your car from a car rental company that is not located on the DTW Rental Car Campus, contact your company in advance to arrange for shuttle pick up. You can pick up these shuttles by following signs for Off-Airport Rental Car Shuttles.
Tips for Cheap Car Rental at the Detroit Airport
The daily rate for rental cars at DTW rarely fluctuates significantly from $50 a day, but you can typically save a couple dollars by booking your rental car within six months of your arrival in Detroit. The cheapest rental car companies from which to book at the Detroit Airport are Dollar and Thrifty. Keep an eye out for discounts of around 17%, especially from EconomyBookings.com and Thrifty.
How to Return your Rental Car to the Detroit Airport
If your rental car company is located on the Detroit Airport Rental Car Campus, drive to Lucas Drive once you enter the airport area and follow the signs to your specific rental car company.
Remember that it can take around 30 minutes to return your rental car in Detroit and that you will have to wait for the shuttle to take you to your terminal after you do so. It is prudent to add at least one hour to your arrival time in order to ensure that you can return your rental car and reach your terminal without the potential stress of missing your flight.
Key Things to Remember When You Rent a Car in Detroit
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout the United States.
- Except in large cities, the speed limit on most freeways throughout Michigan is 75 miles per hour (120 kilometers per hour). In congested areas, this speed limit drops to 55 mph (88 km/h).
- The speed limit in cities and residential areas, like Detroit, is typically 25 mph (40 km/h).
- The primary toll roads in the Detroit area are the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel and Ambassador Bridge, both of which connect Detroit, USA to Windsor, Canada. The rates range between $4 and $6 for both the tunnel and the bridge. Be aware that you will also have to cross Customs and speak with a Customs agent in order to drive across the border from Detroit to Canada.
- If you are interested in driving into Ontario from Detroit, discuss options with your rental car company. While many companies permit the travel of their rental cars from Michigan to Ontario, surcharges may apply and you may need extra documentation to actually cross the border.