Car Rental in NewarkWhere to pick up
Car Rental in Newark
Car rental locations in Newark
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Newark, NJ: Your Base for Tours through the Garden State
While Newark, New Jersey is perhaps best known for its major airport, Newark Liberty International Airport, it is a city witnessing a renaissance. Long overlooked due to its proximity to Manhattan, New York, the city of Newark is becoming the home to great independent restaurants and shops and a thriving local culture. Watch the city reawaken! Make the most of your visit by staying mobile via rental car and exploring the beauty of the surrounding Garden State as well. Here is a brief guide to finding the cheapest rental cars in Newark.
Get the Best Deal on Newark Car Rental at EconomyBookings.com
Newark rental cars are available in 5 locations throughout the city, but the best location at which to pick up your rental car is at the Newark Airport. Newark car hire typically starts at $60 a day for short-term rental car contracts. This rate drops by around $15 a day when you extend your rental period to 10 days or more!
Tips for Finding Cheap Car Rental in Newark
Even if you aren’t arriving to Newark, New Jersey via airplane, booking your rental car from the Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)—also simply called the Newark Airport—can save you a lot of money on your rental car. Over 6 rental car companies compete with each other to offer customers the best deal on rental cars in the Newark area. These rental car companies include Dollar, Budget, Thrifty, and Europcar. Find out more about renting a car at the Newark Airport at our webpage here.
Rental car rates remain fairly steady year-round in Newark, except during the busiest travel times of the year, such as Christmas and the popular tourism months of July and August. If it’s necessary for you to rent a car during Christmas and New Year’s or July and August, you can expect rates for rental cars to rise by $15 to $30 a day, regardless of how far in advance you book your rental car.
If you are travelling to Newark outside of these busy travel periods, you can often get great deals on your Newark rental car by booking your car just weeks before you arrive.
Tips for Driving Your Newark Rental Car
Parking your rental car in downtown Newark, New Jersey
- Street parking is relatively inexpensive throughout Newark, costing just $1 an hour. The vast majority of parking meters only require payment during normal business hours, from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Saturday, though some meters do require payment until 10 pm, so make sure to double-check your meter before you leave your rental car unattended in the evening. Street parking is free on Sundays throughout the city of Newark.
- If you need to leave your rental car for more than 2 hours at a time in downtown Newark, take advantage of frequent parking garages throughout the city. Parking in parking garages or lots can cost as much as $6 an hour, but you can often find daily rates of around $18, particularly by reserving a spot online. Many parking garages have good deals for evening parking, starting after 4 pm.
Toll roads in and near Newark, New Jersey
- A vast number of bridges, tunnels, and highways are tolled in the Newark area, particularly the New Jersey turnpike and the many access points to New York City.
- For instance, the Holland Tunnel into New York City costs $15 to traverse, though you don’t have to pay a toll to return to New Jersey. Tolls are payable in the Holland Tunnel via cash or EZ-Pass.
- The New Jersey Turnpike is a 120-mile long stretch of I-95 that links New York to Pennsylvania. The highest toll you’ll have to pay for travelling the New Jersey Turnpike is currently around $14. The Turnpike tolls are still payable in cash or EZ-Pass. EZ-Pass holders only receive a discount during off-peak travel hours.
- If you plan on driving along tolled roads often with your Newark rental car, ask your rental car agency is they can outfit your car with an EZ-Pass to save you some time and money. Also be sure to double-check if any surcharges apply to your use of this electronic tolling method.