Car rental in Usa VirginiaWhere to pick up
Popular car rental cities in Usa Virginia
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Richmond, VA
Richmond is an important site in American history, as one of the first English settlements in the New World and the original home to the Powhatan Confederacy, Pocahontas’s native nation. It was also the capital of the southern Confederacy during the American Civil War. Today it is the site of unique and excellent eateries, galleries, and theatres. As a very drivable city, Richmond is a great location in which to book a rental car in order to explore the city specifically and Virginia at large. Stay mobile and independent during your visit as affordably as possible by reading through the following tips on finding the cheapest rental cars in Richmond.
Get the Best Deal on Richmond Car Rental at EconomyBookings.com
Richmond rental cars are available in over 10 locations throughout the city, including the Richmond Airport, downtown, and in the west, northwest, and southwest parts of the city. Richmond car hire typically starts at just under $50 a day for short-term rentals. This daily rate drops to around $37 for car rental periods longer than a week.
Tips for Finding Cheap Car Rentals in Richmond, VA
No rental car location is outrageously expensive in Richmond. Still, you can typically save at least $10 a day by booking your rental car from the Richmond Airport. Located just 10 miles southeast of central Richmond, the Richmond International Airport (RIC) is an ideal location from which to pick up your Richmond rental car. Over six internationally renowned rental car companies compete at the Richmond International Airport to offer visitors the cheapest daily rate on car hire in the area.
Another great way to save money on your Richmond rental car is by avoiding travelling to Richmond during the busiest months of the year, such as August. Regardless of how far in advance you book your Richmond rental car, rates rise to around $60 a day throughout the city each August. An additional benefit of travelling to the city during the off season is that you can often take advantage of last minute deals, booking your rental car for especially good prices just a month or two before you arrive.
Particularly because Richmond is such a drivable city, consider extending your rental period to ten days or more in order to take advantage of additional discounts for long-term rentals!
Key Tips on Driving Your Rental Car in Richmond, Virginia
Parking your rental car in Richmond:
- The city of Richmond itself owns over 8000 parking spots, located both on the street and in parking structures and paved lots. The closer you park to the center of the city, around 4th Ave and Marshall, the more you’ll pay, with parking garage rates running around $5 an hour and $20 for the full day. However, there are numerous parking areas around 1500 East Main Street, where parking is free for the first hour and costs just $5 maximum for the full day.
Navigating toll roads with your Virginia rental car:
- Most of the major cities in and near Virginia are surrounded by a variety of toll roads, particularly Richmond, Chesapeake, and the throughways into neighboring Washington, DC.
- The toll roads in the direct vicinity of Richmond include:
- The South Norfolk Jordan Bridge
- The RMTA Express Way, including Boulevard Bridge, Downtown Expressway, and Powhite Parkway
- And the Powhite Parkway Extension.
At the time of writing, only the Jordan Bridge had transitioned to a fully electronic system, meaning that tolls are payable by EZ-Pass or by mail alone. If you plan on driving along the Jordan Bridge, ask your rental car company if any surcharges apply to your use of electronic tollways.
The remainder of the toll roads in the Richmond area remain payable by cash at toll booths. Be sure to have small bills and coins on hand if you plan on driving along the RMTA Expressway. You can often save time by using the automated booths, but these booths do not offer change, so having the exact price of the toll available in cash is quite handy.