Car rental in PerthWhere to pick up
Car rental in Perth
Car rental locations in Perth
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Perth: a metropolitan of endless sunshine and excellent beaches
Western Australia’s capital city, Perth, makes an excellent metropolitan base for your explorations of the southwestern corner of this incredibly biodiverse country. Often overlooked, Perth offers visitors fine dining, funky arts scenes, phenomenal nearby natural landmarks, and excellent beaches—all without the dense pack of tourists typically witnessed in eastern Australia. Make the most of your visit to this fascinating region by hiring a car and planning numerous road trips! Book your rental car today.
Spring and fall are the most comfortable seasons of the year to visit Perth, spanning from September to November and from March to May respectively. To experience the spring bloom of wild flowers throughout the city—particularly around Kings Park—plan to visit in the spring.
The de facto official language of Australia is English, which is also the language spoken by the majority of Perth’s residents. Noongar is the Aboriginal language spoken by the majority of southwestern Australia’s indigenous residents.
Perth is in the Australian Western Standard Time Zone, UTC+8.
The currency is the Australian dollar and credit cards are widely accepted throughout the country.
Car hire is available in 8 locations throughout Perth, including Perth Airport (PER), Osborne Park, and Perth West.
There are numerous excellent natural sights to see in the Perth area. Head, for instance, to the Pinnacles Desert, just under 200 km north of Perth, for some seemingly otherworldly landscapes. After thoroughly exploring the Cottesloe coast in Perth itself, beach lovers will likely want to head south toward Bunbury, 175 km from Perth, to take advantage of the beautiful stretch of beaches along Koombana Bay. Alternatively, head inland to taste the wines of Swan Valley, just 25 kilometers outside of the city.
All visitors to Australia require a visa to enter the country, except those coming from New Zealand. Depending on your country of citizenship, you can apply for these visas online for a fee of $20 to $130; be sure to only visit government websites for these applications in order to avoid surcharges and other fees. Some nationalities will have to apply for a visa via a paper application at an Australian embassy. Double check regulations for your nationality before you solidify your travel plans.
Driving in Perth
Although you don’t need a car to explore Perth’s central business district, you’ll certainly want one to drive into the city’s neighborhoods and beyond. A visit to Perth is nothing without a road trip throughout the southwestern tip of Australia!
- Traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road throughout Australia.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On highways: 110 km/h
- Speed is strictly regulated by speed cameras throughout Australia, so stay alert for road signs indicating variations to these general speed limits to avoid significant fines.
- Rush hours will slow down your travel time significantly, so avoid entering Perth in the morning, from around 5:45 to 7 am, or leaving in the late afternoon, from 3 to 5:30 pm.
- Parking in Perth’s central business district can be very expensive, costing around $4 an hour on the street and oftentimes even more in garages. To avoid these prices, consider parking your car at a railway station in one of Perth’s remoter neighborhoods and commuting into the city.
- If your domestic driver’s license has been issued in a language other than English, an international driver’s permit will be necessary to rent a car in Australia.
- There are no toll roads in Western Australia.
- The minimum driving age in Western Australia is 17 years, though most rental companies will require that you are at least 21 years old to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Perth
Car hire in Perth typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Perth:
- Toyota Corolla (economy class) - $25 per day
- Hyundai Accent (compact class) - $26 per day
- Kia Cerato (intermediate class) - $27 per day
- Mitsubishi Lancer (standard class) - $40 per day
- Toyota Camry (fullsize class) - $41 per day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Perth
There is very little seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Perth. Instead of trying to save money by planning when you book, secure the cheapest rental car deals in Perth by being deliberate about where you book: Perth Airport typically offers the cheapest rental car deals in the region.
Particularly with the assistance of discounts of around 17%, Thrifty is the cheapest rental car agency from which to book your car in Perth. Economy Bookings’ location at the airport also offers particularly competitive prices.
You can also typically save between $6 and $15 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.