Car rental in ColombiaWhere to pick up
Car rental in Colombia
Popular car rental cities in Colombia
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Bogotá: Colombia’s lively capital
Colombia’s capital, Bogotá, is a city that invites visitors to enjoy the outdoors, from the fresh fruits, juices, and street food available throughout the city, to the spectacular views provided by its mountainous surroundings. While the city will definitely keep you busy with its lively nightlife and fascinating districts, make the most of your visit by planning some road trips as well. Book your rental car today.
Bogotá’s temperature stays fairly constant year-round, at just under room temperature. To avoid the rain, visit the city between March and December. Peak tourist season typically spans from July through August.
Spanish is the official language of Colombia and is the language spoken by most of Bogotá’s residents as well. 65 Amerindian languages are also spoken throughout Colombia. English is widely understood throughout Bogotá, though primarily by younger generations.
Bogotá is in the Colombia Standard Time Zone, UTC-5.
The currency in Colombia is the Colombian peso, demarcated as COP or $. While larger restaurants and stores are likely to accept credit cards in Bogotá, it is a good idea to have cash on hand for all other transactions and for travel outside the city. ATMs are frequently available throughout the country and typically offer the cheapest form of currency exchange.
Car hire is available in 4 locations throughout Bogotá: the El Dorado International Airport or Bogotá Airport (BOG), downtown, south, and via delivery within city limits.
The vast majority of nationalities do not need a visa to enter Colombia. Upon entry, visitors from these countries will receive a stamp in their passport that is valid from 30 to 90 days, depending on nationality. All other nationalities will need to apply for a visa from a Colombian Embassy before they depart. While Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a visa, they will need to pay a reciprocity fee upon arrival. Double-check visa regulations for your nationality before you confirm your travel plans.
Driving in Bogotá
The imperfect grid infrastructure of Bogotá’s roads makes navigating the city by car an interesting challenge. To make being a new driver in the city easier, ask your rental company to provide a GPS or satnav with your rental car.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Colombia.
Typical Speed Limits
- In the city: 60 km/h
- On rural roads: 80 km/h
- On highways: 100 km/h
- To make the most of your travel time, avoid driving during morning and evening rush hours, which typically run from 6 to 8:30 am and 3 to 7:30 pm respectively. Ask your rental car company if license plate restrictions are in place and apply to you during your stay in Bogotá. When these restrictions are active, you may be required to stay off the roads during peak travel time, depending on your license plate number.
- Street parking can be a challenge in Bogotá, so take advantage of frequent parking garages to park your car quickly and safely throughout the city. Alternatively, ask your host or hotel staff for tips on where to park for free during your stay in Bogotá.
- Your valid domestic driver’s license is sufficient for driving in Colombia, provided you are staying in the country for 90 days or less.
- Most highways in Colombia require payment of some form of tolls. Have cash on hand to ease your travel through these tolled areas.
- The minimum driving age in Colombia is 18 years, though most rental companies will require that you are at least 23 years old to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Bogotá
Car hire in Bogotá typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Bogotá:
- Chevrolet Spark or similar (economy class) – $27/day
- Renault Logan or similar (compact class) – $37/day
- Chevrolet Sail or similar (intermediate class) – $45/day
- Ford Fusion or similar (standard class) – $63/day
- Volkswagen Jetta or similar (standard class) – $65/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Bogotá
The cheapest price for rental cars in Bogotá fluctuates by around $3 year-round. Book your rental car within 8 months of your departure in order to receive prices of around $27 at both the airport and downtown. At both of these locations, Confort Rent a Car is typically the agency that provides the cheapest hire cars in Bogotá. Renta Facil can also often offer cheap prices throughout Bogotá, including via delivery within the city limits.
Keep an eye out for discounts of around 17% that keep the price of rental cars cheap in Bogotá.
You can also typically save around $3 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.