Car rental in TijuanaWhere to pick up
Car rental in Tijuana
Car rental locations in Tijuana
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Tijuana: Mexico’s vibrant border city
Tijuana remains a popular city to visit, just along the US-Mexico border. Vibrant Tijuana offers visitors funky architecture, colorful flowers and street art, excellent beaches, and even better food. But don’t just stick to the border region. Instead, head south along the Baja California peninsula for some incredible sights, such as the whales in and around Guerrero Negro and metropolitan Ensenada along the way. Make the most of your explorations of Baja California by booking your rental car today.
Tijuana and its surroundings are comfortable to visit from March through December. August and September are the hottest months.
The de facto national language of Mexico is Spanish, which is the primary language of most residents in and around Tijuana. The primary indigenous language spoken in the Tijuana area is Kumeyaay. Many of the employees at tourist destinations also speak English.
Tijuana is located in the Pacific Standard Time Zone, UTC-8.
The currency in Mexico is the peso and is most efficiently received via ATMs, which are plentiful throughout Tijuana. While large restaurants and hotels are likely to accept credit cards, it is a good idea to always have cash on hand.
Car hire is available in three locations throughout Tijuana: at the General Abelardo L. Rodríguez International Airport (also known as the Tijuana International Airport, TIJ), downtown, and at Camino Real.
Travellers arriving in Mexico from many Western European countries, Chile, Argentina, the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand can enter without a visa. They will purchase a tourist card valid for 90 days (though you can extend this to 180 days for an extra fee). All other visitors are required to apply for a visa before they arrive.
Driving in Tijuana
If you’re just visiting Tijuana for the day, it is recommended to do so via public transportation, as parking is challenging in the city itself and a car is unnecessary for a day’s exploration. But it would be a mistake to stay in Tijuana itself if you have more time to devote to Baja California. Make the most of your visit by planning some road trips south!
- Traffic proceeds on the right-hand side of the road throughout Mexico.
- On unmarked streets: typically 60 km/h
- On urban throughways: 60 to 80 km/h
- On rural highways: 70 to 90 km/h
- On major highways outside of cities: 110 km/h
- Rush hour is difficult to calculate in Tijuana, which is highly influenced by its border location. Aim to avoid a border crossing on Friday evenings.
- Parking can be expensive in Tijuana, and is almost always regulated by time and fee.
- An international driver’s permit is required for driving throughout Mexico, in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license.
- Most highways are tolled throughout Mexico, including highways in Baja California. Plan to have around 30 pesos in cash on hand for each tollbooth for your travels throughout the region.
- The minimum driving age in Mexico is 18, and drivers are rarely permitted to rent cars under the age of 25.
- Purchasing Mexican car insurance for the length of your rental contract is required in Mexico; if you are stopped by the police or at any of the country’s frequent checkpoints, you will be required to show proof of insurance.
Cheap Car Rental in Tijuana
Car hire in Tijuana typically starts as low as $10 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Tijuana:
- Nissan March or similar (economy class) – $12/day
- Chevrolet Spark or similar (compact class) – $14/day
- Hyundai I10 or similar (mini class) – $15/day
- Chevrolet Aveo or similar (intermediate class) – $16/day
- Hyundai Elantra or similar (standard class) – $17/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Tijuana
There is some seasonal variation in price in Tijuana, largely due to availability. When tourists flock to the area in August, for instance, the cheapest rental cars in the area will already be booked, and you’ll likely find yourself booking a car from another company where daily fees start $6 higher. If you’re planning on visiting during the peak season in Tijuana, make a point to book your rental car well in advance. Otherwise, the price for car hire in Tijuana stays fairly consistent year round.
The cheapest rental car prices in Tijuana are available at the airport, where rental car agencies like Hertz and Mex Rent a Car offer unbeatably low prices. Budget can also consistently offer rental cars at below $30 a day at their downtown location. Just be sure to book your car within 7 months of your arrival to ensure that you receive the best rental car prices.
Depending on the agency from which you rent, prices rise or fall by about $2 when you extend your rental period to over a week. Keep an eye out for occasional discounts of at least 8% that make hiring a car in Tijuana even cheaper.