Car rental in LebanonWhere to pick up
Popular car rental cities in Lebanon
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Lebanon: Traveling a Jewel of the Middle East
Lebanon is a glittering jewel of the Middle East whose history is written upon the landscape. Featuring a spectacular coastline and parallel mountain ranges, Lebanon is gorgeous both on account of its terrain and rich cultural sites. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today!
Summer in Lebanon can be very hot, making the shoulder seasons (particularly May and October) the most comfortable times to visit – and to swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
The official language of Lebanon is Modern Standard Arabic; the Levantine dialect of Arabic spoken throughout the country is fairly similar to Modern Standard Arabic, particularly in relation to other dialects spoken elsewhere. Due to Lebanon’s position in the history of colonialism, French and English are also widely spoken, and you can expect most road signs to be written in both Arabic and French.
Lebanon is located in the Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+2.
The currency is the Lebanese pound (LL), which could almost be said to be pegged to the US dollar. With only one slight variation – 1 USD is typically worth 1500 LL.
Automobile hire is available in numerous locations throughout Beirut, as well as in Jdeideh. The most inexpensive and convenient place to book your rental car is from the Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport, located 5 kilometers south of the city center.
Despite the traffic, Lebanon is an eminently drivable country. Tripoli is only 80 km north of Beirut, and Tyre is another 80 km south of Beirut.
Tourist visas are available to over 60 nationalities for one month, renewable up to three months. These visas are available at Lebanese embassies, and for some nationalities, at your point of entry to the country, at Beirut airport or elsewhere. Double check regulations for your nationality and travel regulations for your intended destinations before you depart.
Driving in Lebanon
Drive defensively throughout Lebanon and be alert for rapidly changing road conditions, large potholes, and the erratic driving of others. If you do so, you’ll quickly adapt to the fast-paced roads, and you’ll see so much more than if you remain in Lebanon’s major cities.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Lebanon.
- In cities: 50 km/h
- On major highways: 100 km/h
- Otherwise look for signs regulating speed, particularly as speed cameras are increasingly being installed.
- Traffic conditions worsen substantially around morning and evening rush hours in major cities like Beirut and Tripoli. Avoid driving at these times in order to save yourself up to an hour of travel time!
- Parking can be a challenge in Lebanon’s cities, making smaller cars more ideal for your travels. Consider booking a hotel with complementary off-street parking for any of your larger city stays. Take advantage of car parks, particularly in Beirut, and do as the locals do: trust the valets! They know where best to park your car.
- An international driver’s permit in addition to your driver’s license is necessary to rent a car in Lebanon.
- There are no toll roads in Lebanon.
- Although the minimum driving age in Lebanon is 17, you will have to be 23 years old and have at least two years’ driving experience to rent. Drivers under the age of 25 are likely to face young-driver surcharges.
- Street signs can be few and far between, so ask your rental company if they can outfit your car with an up-to-date navigation system.
- On mountain roads, shift into a lower gear when you are descending in order to prevent undue wear and tear – and the potential failure – of your brakes.
- Be sure to carry your passport and legal documents for your rental car whenever on the road, as it is likely that you will be stopped at a police checkpoint. Simply drive slowly through the checkpoint and follow the instructions from the police.
Cheap Car Rental in Lebanon
Automobile hire in Lebanon typically starts at around $17 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Lebanon:
- Hyundai I10 or similar (economy class) – $17/day
- Kia Picanto or similar (mini class) – $19/day
- Renault Fluence or similar (compact class) – $21/day
- Renault Duster or similar (intermediate class) – $32/day
- Toyota Avanza or similar (standard class) – $41/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Lebanon
City Car Rent A Car has consistently low prices wherever they are located, such as at Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport and in downtown Beirut.
Note however that City Car Rent A Car typically only has cars available online for the upcoming four or five months, so you may save money if you’re willing to wait to book your rental until briefly before your departure to Lebanon. For travellers who require the security of having a car booked more than a few months in advance, Economy Bookings typically offers cars at just over $20 a day.