Car rental in SalalahWhere to pick up
Car rental in Salalah
Car rental locations in Salalah
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Salalah: a major stop along the silk trading routes
Salalah has been a pit stop for travelers for two thousand years, as its ideal location at the base of the Arabian Peninsula made the city a major stop along the frankincense and silk trading routes. Today, visitors flock to the area for its comfortable dry heat and the annual Salalah Festival. Make the most of your visit by exploring the city and its natural surroundings by rental car. Book your car today!
Most beach-goers come to Salalah during the dry season from October to May, which is also the only time that diving is possible. Many also visit Salalah in July and August, when the nearby wadis are full of water.
Arabic is the national language of Oman and is spoken by the vast majority of residents, although ethnic minorities throughout the country also speak Shehri, Swahili, and Baluchi. English is also widely spoken, particularly in cities and major tourist destinations.
Salalah is in the Gulf Time Zone, UTC+4.
The currency is the Omani rial, which is fixed to the dollar at 1 rial to 2.60 US dollars. It is a good idea to have cash on hand for most of your financial transactions. ATMs at the airport are guaranteed to accept foreign cards, and there are ATMs throughout most cities; money exchanges are also available throughout the country.
Automobile hire is available in 3 locations throughout Salalah, the Salalah Airport (SLL), downtown, and at the Hilton Hotel.
The Dhofar region of Oman is well worth exploring, though it is quite sparsely populated. Drive out to Jabal Samhan, 77 km away from Salalah and the highest point in the area, for some spectacular views. There are some interesting natural sights to stop at along the way, including Tawi Atayr (the Well of Birds.) The long drive to Mirbat (about 3 hours away) is also well worth the trip, particularly for lovers of great views and ancient ruins.
Over 35 nationalities can receive a single-entry visa upon arrival in Oman, which authorizes stays of up to 30 days for the cost of 20 rials. Ensure that your passport is valid for a full six months after your date of arrival to avoid any problems upon entry or exit. While stamps from Israel should not cause problems, Israeli passport-holders will be denied entry. If you are entering via air to Salalah, you may run into difficulties receiving change for your visa, as customs officials are not accustomed to carrying large amounts of cash.
Driving in Salalah
While Salalah is navigable by foot, renting a car is a great way to see the beautiful surroundings of the city as well. Just make sure you rent a 4-wheel-drive in the wet season.
- Traffic follows the right-hand side of the road throughout Oman.
- In cities and towns: 40 to 80 km/h
- On rural roads: 90 km/h or according to road conditions
- On motorways: 120 km/h
- Speed cameras regulate traffic throughout Salalah, other cities, and along the expressways.
- Street parking is metered in Salalah, but there are numerous hotels that offer complementary off-street parking to save you these prices.
- An international driver’s permit is necessary in addition to your domestic driver’s license and passport in order to rent and drive a car in Oman.
- The minimum driving age in Oman is 18, though you will have to be at least 21 years old to rent a car. Most agencies issue a young-driver surcharge for all drivers under the age of 25.
- Consider renting a 4-wheel-drive vehicle to enable travel over and through the spectacular wadis—though be aware of the weather, as rare rainstorms can quickly make the wadis impassable.
- Particularly if you’re headed into the mountains in the wet season, be wary of fog, which can dramatically reduce your visibility.
Cheap Car Rental in Salalah
Automobile hire in Salalah typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Salalah:
- Toyota Yaris or similar (economy class) – $25/day
- Mazda 2 or similar (compact class) – $27/day
- Honda Civic or similar (intermediate class) – $32/day
- Mazda 6 or similar (standard class) – $45/day
- Nissan Altima or similar (standard class) – $46/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Salalah
There is little to no seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Salalah, but be sure to rent at least 3 to 4 weeks in advance of your arrival in order to ensure you receive the best prices.
You will find the most availability and cheapest prices at rental car agencies located at the Salalah Airport, particularly from InterRent, which routinely beats the prices of other budget agencies like Europcar and Dollar by around $5 a day.
You can also save at least $3 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.