Car rental in MostarWhere to pick up
Car rental in Mostar
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Mostar: Bosnia’s famous medieval attraction
Mostar is most famous for its iconic medieval arched bridge, uniting the banks of the Neretva River. In fact, this bridge represents Mostar’s significance as a historical and tourist site, having been destroyed during the recent war and since rebuilt. An incredible symbol of reconciliation with a fascinating war-torn past nestled in one of the Balkans’ most beautiful landscapes, Mostar is well worth a visit, even if short, and its surroundings warrant thorough exploration. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today!
The weather is most comfortable in the late spring and early fall in Mostar, when the heat and the tourism is not too intense.
Bosnia and Herzegovina’s official languages are Bosnian, Serbian, and Croatian, and you’ll encounter road signs in both Cyrillic and Latin alphabets. If you don’t read Cyrillic, it’s recommended you bring a Serbian-English dictionary along to help you navigate, particularly in the Republic of Srpska. A large number of Bosnians also speak English, German, and/or French.
Mostar is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The official currency is the mark, which is more or less pegged to the euro at around 1.95 marks to 1 euro. Most financial transactions in shops or markets still take place in cash, which you can withdraw from ATMs in the majority of Bosnian cities.
Car hire is available in 4 locations throughout Mostar: at Mostar International Airport (OMO), the railway station, the bus station, and downtown.
Passport holders of many countries can enter Bosnia-Herzegovina visa free and stay for up to 90 days within a six-month period, though some restrictions apply, particularly in terms of multiple entry. Double-check regulations before you book, as some nationalities will have to apply for a visa before arriving.
Driving in Mostar
Mostar is a relatively small city, so you won’t need a car to explore its major sights, but you will definitely want to hire a vehicle to explore the city’s surroundings!
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
Speed Limits in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- In residential and metropolitan areas, the speed limit is 50 km/h.
- On highways, the speed limit ranges from 80 to 130 km/h, depending on the number of lanes, though multi-lane highways are still quite rare. Don’t be surprised if you spend much of your highway travel at 80 km/h or less!
- Parking is somewhat limited in downtown Mostar. If you can’t book a hotel that includes complementary off-street parking, take advantage of the parking lots on the west side of the river along the road to the bridge (Stari Most). Be wary of scams.
- The only toll road in Bosnia and Herzegovina is part of the A1 motorway near Sarajevo. You can pay tolls in marks, euros, or by credit card.
- People with driver’s licenses issued by the European Union require no further documentation to drive in Bosnia and Herzegovina, provided they are at least 18 years old. All other nationalities should carry an international driver’s permit in addition to their domestic licenses.
- You will likely go through police checks if you drive a lot in the country, especially if you drive over the border. Make sure you have your driver’s license and insurance documentation on hand—as well as a written contract for your rental car clearly indicating the dates of your rental. If you’ve extended your rental period beyond the contract dates, you will need documentation to prove this.
Cheap Car Rental in Mostar
Car hire in Mostar typically starts at around $15 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Mostar:
- Renault Twingo or similar (economy class) – $15/day
- Volkswagen Up or similar (mini class) – $18/day
- Renault Megane or similar (compact class) – $32/day
- Skoda Rapid or similar (intermediate class) – $37/day
- Opel Zafira or similar (standard class) – $60/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Mostar
There is significant seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Mostar, with prices rising by around $10 a day in the popular summer months. Travelers who plan to visit Mostar from May through September will want to book their rental cars well in advance to ensure the best variety of cars at the cheapest prices. Travelers visiting Mostar in the off-season, however, may find very cheap rental car options—for as low as $10 a day!—when they book just 2 to 3 weeks in advance of their arrival.
By far the cheapest rental company in Mostar is Guma X Car Rental, which is located at the airport and downtown. Control Rent-A-Car and Enterprise can sometimes almost meet Guma X’s low prices for car hire.
You can also often save around $5 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!