Car rental in DusseldorfWhere to pick up
Car rental in Dusseldorf
Car rental locations in Dusseldorf
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Düsseldorf: a modern Metropolis on the River Rhine
This Rhine city is an excellent destination for visitors to western Germany. Though not the financial center of Germany, Düsseldorf is a bustling modern metropolis offering visitors excellent shopping and dining opportunities. Make the most of your visit by getting mobile and visiting the surrounding Rhineland as well. Book your rental car today!
July and August are the most popular tourist months in Düsseldorf, but it is an ideal city to visit year round. Avoid the crowds by visiting any other time of the year—but don’t forget a raincoat!
The official language of Germany is German, though many Germans are bilingual, and most Germans have had some English language instruction in schools. French, Italian, and Spanish are also widely spoken, and many immigrants from Turkey, Italy, and Poland, and increasingly Arab-speaking countries, retain their native language proficiency.
Düsseldorf is located in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency of Germany is the euro, and credit cards are widely accepted at grocery and retail stores. Take advantage of frequent ATMs to have cash on hand for restaurants, bakeries, and butcheries.
An excellent day-trip destination from Düsseldorf is Drachenfels, located 80 km south of the city. Stop along the way, if you like, in the beautiful cities of Cologne (though don’t tell your hosts you’re headed here, as Cologne is Düsseldorf’s rival city) and Bonn, before heading to the beautiful sights of more rural Drachenfels. Don’t forget to try the area’s award winning wine from the Pieper winery!
Automobile hire is available at over 20 locations throughout Düsseldorf, including the Düsseldorf Airport, downtown Düsseldorf, the railway station, and the harbor.
As a Schengen country, Germany accepts visitors from many countries around the world visa-free for up to 90 days. Double check entry requirements for your nationality before you depart, as you may be required to apply for a visa in advance of your departure.
Driving in Düsseldorf
Although German public transportation infrastructure is quite good, most Germans still travel by car for its convenience, spontaneity, and comfort. Make the most of your visit by exploring the German countryside in addition to downtown Düsseldorf, and book your rental car today!
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Düsseldorf, as throughout the rest of continental Europe.
- In residential areas: 30 km/h
- In the city: 50 km/h
- Outside towns and cities: 100 km/h
- Speed on the Autobahn is unlimited unless marked by signs suspended above the road or on the side of the road.
- Speed cameras regulate all of the roads throughout Düsseldorf and Germany on a whole.
- Avoid driving during morning and evening rush hours, when traffic can become fairly heavy.
- Parking in downtown Düsseldorf varies significantly by price, so do some research before you arrive to find the most affordable parking garages. You may find that garages adjacent to your hotel are actually cheaper than the parking offered by your hotel itself.
- Cars are required to be marked with a green sticker indicating their viability for driving in the “environment zone” of downtown Düsseldorf. Ask your rental company to ensure that your car is marked with the proper sticker.
- If you decide to head out along the A3 or the other Autobahn that serve Düsseldorf, stay in the far right lane except to pass; you are guaranteed to be overtaken regardless of how fast you drive.
- An international driver’s permit is not necessary for driving in Germany.
- There are no toll roads in Germany.
- The minimum driving age is 18, and some rental agencies also allow rental by drivers as young as 18. You are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Düsseldorf
Automobile hire in Düsseldorf typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Düsseldorf:
- Opel Adam or similar (mini class) – $17/day
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $18/day
- Citroen C4 Cactus or similar (compact class) – $20/day
- Renault Scenic or similar (intermediate class) – $23/day
- Ford Mondeo or similar (standard class) – $29/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Düsseldorf
Flizzr Rent a Car and Europcar are the cheapest rental brands in Düsseldorf and they are available at numerous locations throughout the city, including the Düsseldorf Airport, the central railway station, and downtown. The airport does not consistently offer the cheapest rental prices, so be sure to check each location’s price for the dates of your trip.
There is not much seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Düsseldorf; instead, be sure to book your rental car 1 to 6 months in advance of your trip in order to ensure you receive the best price possible. Flizzr typically only has rental cars available within the next 6 months.
You can also save up to $10 a day when you extend your rental period to over a week!