Car rental in Herceg NoviWhere to pick up
Car rental in Herceg Novi
Car rental locations in Herceg Novi
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Herceg Novi: the hidden pearl of the Mediterranean
Herceg Novi is a beautiful, historical coastal town along the Mediterranean coast. Use Herceg Novi as your base for exploring urban and rural Montenegro. Book your rental car today.
The most comfortable time of year to visit Herceg Novi is in the shoulder seasons, from April to June and September to October, when the weather is cooler and the tourist season has either not yet begun or is coming to an end.
Montenegrin is the official language of the country, a language that is quite similar to Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian. English, Russian, German, and Italian are the most commonly spoken second languages of Montenegrins, though the frequency of these speakers depends on the region. English is most spoken along the coast. Road signs are likely to be in the Latin alphabet.
Herceg Novi is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the euro. ATMs are now quite frequent throughout the country, particularly in major cities. While restaurants and large shops will accept credit cards, you’ll want to have cash on hand for all other exchanges.
Car hire is available in 4 locations throughout Herceg Novi, including delivery within the city limits, downtown, as well as at Hotel Xanadu and Hotel Perla.
There are some great road trips near Herceg Novi, as the Bay of Kotor is well worth exploring in full! Drive east along the beautiful coastline to Kotor. If you have the time and your rental car company permits international travel, beautiful but touristy Dubrovnik in Croatia is also just one hour westward.
Citizens from over 60 different nations can visit Montenegro visa-free for up to 90 days. Travellers with valid Schengen and US visas are also permitted to enter for up to 7 days without a visa. It is a good idea to check visa regulations for your nationality before you plan to travel.
Driving in Herceg Novi
Herceg Novi is a fairly walkable town, but you’ll definitely want to rent a car to explore the beautiful coastal region in full.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- Highways: 80 km/h
- In cities and towns: 50 km/h
- Because highways are narrow, roads can get crowded during busy times of the day or the year. Don’t be tempted to pass as haphazardly as the locals do!
- Street parking is fairly readily available in Herzeg Novi and typically costs between 40 and 70 cents an hour. Naturally, prices are more expensive the more downtown you go.
- While an international driver’s permit is not legally necessary in Montenegro, most rental car agencies will require that you carry one in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license to be able to rent a car.
- Headlights and seat belts are obligatory at all times.
- At the time of writing, there were no toll roads in Montenegro.
- The minimum driving age in Montenegro is 18, and while some car rental agencies will rent to drivers this young, one or two years of driving experience is required. Drivers under the age of 25 are also likely to be required to pay surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Herceg Novi
Car hire in Herceg Novi can start at as low as $17 a day, depending on the season in which you rent. Here are some of the best deals in Herceg Novi:
- Toyota Aygo or similar (economy class) – $22/day
- Toyota Auris or similar (compact class) – $29/day
- Renault Twingo or similar (mini class) – $34/day
- Chevrolet Captiva or similar (intermediate class) – $45/day
- Opel Insignia or similar (standard class) – $54/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Herceg Novi
Prices for car hire varies substantially in Herceg Novi. If you are travelling to this beautiful city in the off-season, it could be worth the risk to book your car just 1 to 2 weeks before you arrive. For instance, short-term booking for travel in February can result in daily rental prices at as low as $17 a day. However, even if you book 6 months in advance, prices in August can range from $56 to $80 a day! These prices can sink to between $38 and $48 a day when you extend your rental period to over a week.
One of the cheapest rental car companies in Herceg Novi is Travel Service at their downtown location, though Enterprise can meet their prices at Hotel Xanadu and Hotel Perla.
Keep an eye out for occasional discounts from EconomyBookings that make prices even cheaper.
If you are travelling to and from Herceg Novi from nearby Budva or capital city Podgorica, consider checking EconomyBookings’ prices in either of these locations. You may be able to save a lot of money by hiring your car in these cities rather than directly in Herceg Novi.