Car rental in KrakowWhere to pick up
Car rental in Krakow
Car rental locations in Krakow
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Kraków: the city of medieval beauty
Kraków is one of the most beautiful cities in Poland and arguably in Central Europe as a whole, with rich and exciting historical structures, squares and neighborhoods, and excellent Polish restaurants (take the example of the E. Wedel Chocolate Lounge, which offers visitors luxurious hot chocolate in a beautiful location)! Make the most of your visit by exploring the city and its surroundings thoroughly with a rental car. Book today!
May and June are particularly beautiful months of the year to visit Kraków, when trees and flowers are blooming and the weather is getting warmer. The warmest and busiest tourist months of the year in the city are July and August.
Polish is the official language of Poland, and all street and tourist signs will be in Polish, though you may find explanations in English at the busiest tourist attractions. Some familiarity with Polish is recommended for longer self-drive tours. Younger generations will likely have some training in English. Older generations are more likely to speak French, German, or Russian.
Kraków is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency is the Polish złoty and while most restaurants, shops, and even buses in larger cities like Kraków will accept major credit cards, it’s a good idea to have some cash on hand to purchase food or goods in small towns, post offices and some smaller businesses. ATMs are typically very easy to find, and exchange offices are frequent in larger cities.
Car hire is available in 11 locations throughout Kraków, including at John Paul II International Airport Kraków–Balice (KRK), the bus and railway stations, and downtown Kraków.
As a signing member of the Schengen Agreement, Poland accepts visitors visa-free from countries such as the EU, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Australia. Citizens of other countries will be required to apply for a visa before they arrive and are permitted to stay for up to three months.
Driving in Kraków
You’ll want to avoid driving in the city center, but otherwise Kraków is fairly navigable via car. If you’re planning on staying for a number of days in the city center, consider renting a car only for when you plan to drive outside the city to avoid the stress of parking, particularly as long-term rentals don’t promise significant daily rate discounts.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 50 km/h from 5 in the morning to 11 at night
- 60 km/h from 11 at night to 5 in the morning
- On dual carriageways: 120 km/h
- On motorways: 140 km/h
- On other rural roads: 90 km/h
- Street parking is difficult to find in central Kraków and must be paid between 10 am and 8 pm. There are also often resident-only or no-parking policies on numerous curbsides. Compared to other major European cities, however, parking in underground parking lots is relatively cheap in Kraków.
- Driver’s licenses issued by countries that are members of the European Union are generally valid in Poland. International driver’s permits are required for all visitors from outside the European Union, in addition to a valid domestic driver’s license from their country of residence and a passport.
- All motorways (the A1, A2, A4 and A8) are tolled in Poland; tolls are collected at tollbooths located either on junctions to the motorways or on the motorways themselves.
- The minimum driving age in Poland is 18 years, though most rental companies will require that you are at least 21 years old to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Kraków
Car hire in Kraków typically starts at around $10 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Kraków:
- Volkswagen Up or similar (mini class) – $10/day
- Toyota Yaris or similar (economy class) – $15/day
- Audi Q2 or similar (compact class) – $18/day
- Volkswagen Jetta or similar (intermediate class) – $22/day
- Skoda Yeti or similar (standard class) – $32/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Kraków
The rental company Comfort Car Rental offers cars for just under $17 a day at their locations throughout the city all year round, including at the airport, the bus and railway stations, and downtown Kraków. This is typically the lowest price throughout the city regardless of how far in advance you book your car.
However, if you book from John Paul II International Airport Kraków–Balice (KRK) within 1 to 6 months before your arrival, the companies Right Cars and Green Motion can often offer rental cars at around $12 a day and sometimes as low $9 a day!
Usually you only save about $0.10 when you extend your rental period to over a week, particularly when renting from Comfort Car Rental.