Car Hire in FaroWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Faro
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Faro: Sunshine Capital of the Algarve
This southernmost city in Portugal is a popular summer destination for lovers of the sun worldwide, but the city and its surroundings are well worth exploring year round. Don’t miss the unique Bone Chapel and the sights of Old Town, before you hop in your rental car and explore the Portuguese countryside!
For hot summer weather, you’ll want to visit Faro June through September—which is also the season when many of the world’s travellers also flock to the region—but Faro is also a comfortable place to visit in the spring and winter, which is quite mild.
The official language of Portugal is Portuguese. Many Portuguese people learn English and other foreign languages during their public education, though only about 30% speak fluent English; 20% of the population speaks French. Although few Portuguese people speak fluent Spanish, native Spanish speakers will likely find that they are well understood throughout the country.
The currency in Portugal is the euro, and credit cards are widely accepted at grocery and retail stores. Take advantage of frequent ATMs to have cash on hand for restaurants, bakeries, and butcheries.
The time zone in Faro is the Western European Time Zone, UTC+0.
Car hire in Faro, Portugal is available in 6 locations, including the Faro Airport, downtown Faro, and Faro Montenegro.
Praia da Marinha is one of the Algarve region’s most beautiful beaches and is well worth the visit. Located 60 km west of Faro, this beach is an excellent day-trip destination.
As a Schengen country, Portugal accepts visitors from many countries around the world visa-free for up to 90 days. Double check entry requirements for your nationality before you depart, as you may be required to apply for a visa in advance of your departure.
Driving in Faro
Drivers in Portugal may strike tourists as erratic and hurried, so drive defensively until you adjust to the quick pace of the roads.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Portugal.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On most roads outside of the city: 90 km/h
- On tolled expressways: 120 km/h
- If you’re being tailgated despite driving the speed limit, simply let the drivers behind you pass.
- Although Faro is a smaller city than Lisbon or Porto, it is still prudent to avoid driving during morning and evening rush hours.
- While parking in downtown Faro is limited and often difficult to find, consider parking at one of two free parking lots or car parks: the first is located next to the bus station near Hotel Faro, and the second larger parking lot is located outside of the old town along the road to Olhão.
- An international driver’s permit is required for driving in Portugal, in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license.
- The major motorways of Portugal are typically electronically tolled, so ask your rental company how your car has been registered and how they pass the cost of the tolls along to you.
- The minimum driving age in Portugal is 18, but you will have to be at least 21 years of age to rent a car. Drivers under the age of 25 will likely be issued young-driver surcharges, and a number of rental agencies also require that you be under the age of 70 in order to rent.
- The Portuguese government has recently started regulating speed limits more closely, so even if you feel that the locals are speeding around you, stick to the speed limit to avoid any unnecessary fines.
Cheap Car Rental in Faro
Car hire in Faro starts as low as $3 a day, though a price of around $9 is more typical. Here are some of the best deals on cheap car hire in Faro:
- Fiat 500 or similar (mini class) – $1/day
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $2/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $4/day
- Renault Captur or similar (intermediate class) – $13/day
- Opel Insignia or similar (standard class) – $23/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Faro
There is some seasonal variation in price in Portugal; you can expect the price of a rental car to be slightly more expensive in the spring and summer than in the colder seasons. However, you can still get an excellent price on your rental car if you book 1 to 6 months in advance of your expected arrival date.
The best locations for economy car hire in Faro are the Faro Airport and downtown Faro, and the airport price still often beats the downtown price by around $10 a day. Orbita Viagens Rent a Car is a particularly inexpensive downtown brand, while Best Deal and InterRent offer the cheapest prices at the airport.
If you prefer to rent from internationally recognized rental companies, extend your rental period to over a week in order to save $3 to $10 a day.