Car rental in StockholmWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Stockholm
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Stockholm: the exciting capital of Sweden
Stockholm is an exciting and fun city, with clever and funky architecture both above and underground. Most of these well-designed buildings also offer visitors excellent foods, drinks, and experiences, making the city well worth exploring by foot and subway. But be sure to experience Sweden at its most intimate by exploring the islands and marshy countryside that surround Stockholm as well in the comfort of your rental car! Book your car today.
To take advantage of the best weather and longest days, visit Stockholm between May and September.
Swedish, Finnish, Sami, Meänkeäli, Yiddish and Romani are the official languages of Sweden, though almost everyone born in Sweden speaks Swedish and the vast majority of Swedes also speak good English.
Stockholm is in the Central European Time Zone, UTC+1.
The currency in Sweden is the Swedish krona or crown. Most Swedes make their financial transactions via credit or debit card, so if cash is necessary – such as at the bars of popular clubs in Stockholm – you are almost guaranteed to have easy access to a nearby ATM.
Automobile hire is available in over 30 locations throughout Stockholm, including Stockholm Arlanda (ARN) and Bromma Airports (BMA), the railway station, and downtown.
As a member of the Schengen Agreement, Sweden accepts visitors visa-free from countries such as the EU, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Australia. Citizens of the other countries will be required to apply for a visa before they arrive and are permitted to stay for up to three months.
Driving in Stockholm
Roads in Stockholm can become quite congested and you’ll likely have problems parking once you arrive in the city. For longer stays in Stockholm, you may find that you can save a good deal of money by returning your rental and picking it up again when you’re ready to leave.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout continental Europe.
- In the city: 30 to 50 km/h
- On inner-city motorways, particularly the E4 in Stockholm: 70 km/h
- On most undivided rural roads: 90 to 100 km/h
- On motorways: 110 to 120 km/h
- Avoid entering or leaving the city during morning (7-9 am) and evening (4:30-6 pm) rush hour, particularly along the north-south divide.
- Street parking in Stockholm is increasingly difficult to find. There are plenty of parking garages, though they are quite expensive, charging 60 to 70 kroner an hour. To avoid these fees and the trouble of finding parking, take advantage of numerous park and ride parking lots on the outskirts of the city, though note that to get the best prices, you’ll have to arrive before 9 am.
- An international driver’s permit is typically not necessary for driving in Sweden, even if your license has been issued outside of the European Union. If your license was issued in a non-Latin alphabet, an international permit is highly recommended.
- You will be charged a congestion tax for entering Stockholm by car between 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. While cars with foreign licenses are exempt from this tax, all cars are also tolled when crossing the Sundsvallsfjärden and Motalaviken bridges.
- The minimum driving age in Sweden is 18 years, and while most rental companies will rent a car to you at the age of 18, you will be required to have at least 2 years of driving experience. You are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Stockholm
Automobile hire in Stockholm typically starts at around $25 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Stockholm:
- Fiat 500 or similar (mini class) – $27/day
- Kia Rio or similar (economy class) – $28/day
- Kia Ceed or similar (compact class) – $31/day
- Hyundai I40 or similar (intermediate class) – $32/day
- Toyota Avensis Estate or similar (standard class) – $45/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Stockholm
You may notice some seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Stockholm, with rental car prices going up simply due to higher demand in the summer months. Book well in advance to enjoy summer discounts while they last if you plan to visit Stockholm in June, July, or August. You’ll likely find that Arlanda Airport has more options for rental cars and automobile hire companies than Bromma Airport does.
Otherwise, you may find that the secret to the cheapest rental car prices in Stockholm lies in booking just one or two months before you arrive. Smaller rental companies such as Green Motion offer excellent rental car prices at all of their locations throughout the city for last-minute planners.
Companies such as Hertz and Budget can often almost meet Green Motion’s prices with the assistance of discounts, which start at 8%.
You can also often save around $5 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!