Car rental in KievWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Kiev
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Kyiv: One of the Oldest Cities in Eastern Europe
Kyiv is well worth the visit for history buffs and lovers of picturesque cities alike — not to mention the adventurous who want to visit nearby Chernobyl. As one of the oldest cities in Eastern Europe, even Kyiv’s cemeteries are well worth the visit. Take advantage of the fairly good upkeep of the main throughways of the city to explore thoroughly and get out into the Ukrainian countryside as well. Book your rental car today!
Peak tourist months in Kyiv are July and August, but the city is comfortable to visit from May to September.
In Kyiv, most of the inhabitants speak Russian, though Ukrainian is also spoken. All the street signs are in Ukrainian, except for the few that have been transliterated in recent years into the Latin alphabet. Having some knowledge of Russian and/or Ukrainian is recommended as only the younger generations are learning and utilizing English.
Kyiv is located in the Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+2.
The currency in Ukraine is the hryvnia, pronounced hryvnia in Ukrainian and grivna in Russian. Banks, ATMs, and currency exchange shops are plentiful throughout the city, and you’re likely to find better exchange rates in downtown Kyiv than at the airport. Make sure to keep change and smaller bank notes on hand, as restaurants and other services don’t typically carry a substantial number of small bank notes.
Automobile hire is available in 10 locations throughout Kyiv, including both the Kyiv Boryspil International Airport (KBP) and the Kyiv Zhulyany Airport (IEV), as well as downtown Kyiv and the railway station.
The vast majority of nationalities can visit Ukraine visa-free for a period of 14 to 180 days, depending on their country of origin, and numerous other nationalities can receive a visa upon arrival. Citizens of many neighboring countries are also permitted to visit indefinitely. Some nationalities may have to show proof of sufficient funding in order to enter the country, however. Be sure to check entry requirements for your nationality before you leave, as you may need to apply for a visa from a Ukrainian consulate or embassy before you depart.
Driving in Kyiv
While driving can be a challenge throughout Ukraine, due to the poor maintenance and busy use of the roads, driving in Kyiv itself is typically quite comfortable.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Kyiv, as throughout the rest of continental Europe.
Typical Speed Limits
- In the city: 60 km/h
- On single-lane highways or “nationals”: 90 km/h
- On highways: 110-120 km/h
- Pay good attention to sign postings indicating speed limits, which are not to be disobeyed, and which are often only posted once on an extended stretch of road.
- Have your embassy’s phone number on hand in case you are pulled over by the police and asked to pay an on-the-spot fine.
- Parking in downtown Kyiv is regulated by time and fee, typically via parking attendants who will charge you when you depart. Parking is fairly inexpensive, though often difficult to find.
- Having an international driver’s permit in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license is highly recommended for driving throughout Ukraine.
- At the time of writing, toll roads are planned but not yet in operation in Ukraine.
- While the minimum driving age in Ukraine is 18 years old, you will likely have to be at least 23 years old to rent a car.
- You must have a number of documents available in your car at all times, should you be pulled over by the police, including a formal car rental agreement in Ukrainian or Russian and valid car registration. An emergency kit, an emergency stop sign, and a fire extinguisher are also required.
Cheap Car Rental in Kyiv
Automobile hire in Kyiv typically starts at around $20 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Kyiv:
- Hyundai I10 or similar (mini class) – $20/day
- Renault Logan or similar (economy class) – $21/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $26/day
- Skoda Octavia or similar (intermediate class) – $29/day
- Hyundai Accent or similar (standard class) – $39/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Kyiv
There is no seasonal variation in price in Kyiv and there is also very little variation in price based on location. NarsCars, for instance, typically offers the same price on cars whether you pick up your rental at either of Kyiv’s airports, at the train station, or at their downtown location.
The cheapest rental brands in Kyiv include NarsCars, Rental, and Keddy, all of which are available at any of the major pick-up locations of the city.
You can, however, often save around $3 a day by extending your rental period to over a week, and sometimes these deals are only available at one or the other location. Looking at prices across the city is recommended to ensure you get the cheapest rental price.