Car rental in MontrealTeslim Alınacak Konum
Car rental in Montreal
Araç kiralama yerleri Montreal
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Montreal: a metropolitan center of cultural and economic activity
The Island of Montreal has been a popular gathering place since long before Europeans arrived, and the city’s current downtown area is located on the 16th-century Iroquois city of Hochelaga. Continuously growing throughout the following centuries, Montreal is now a metropolitan center of cultural and economic activity. The diverse neighborhoods of the city offer visitors a huge range of activities nestled between the intersections of some of Canada’s most major highways. Make the most of your visit by exploring the city and its surroundings thoroughly via rental car! Book your car today.
Humid Montreal witnesses four distinct seasons each year, with snowy cold winters and humid hot summers. Shoulder-season months such as April and October typically offer visitors the most comfortable weather. Be aware, however, of price hikes over Thanksgiving week, which takes place on the second Monday of October.
Montreal is the third-largest French-speaking city in the world, though as English and French are the two official languages of Canada, most Quebecois also speak English. First Nation Algonquin is also spoken throughout Quebec.
Montreal is located in the Eastern Time Zone, UTC-5.
The currency is the Canadian dollar, and most financial transactions take place via credit or debit card. Still, you may find cash convenient for transactions in Montreal’s phenomenal bakeries and cafes.
Automobile hire is available in over 40 locations throughout Montreal, including the Montreal Airport, the Décarie Highway, and downtown.
Montreal is surrounded by fascinating sights and cities well worth a visit. For a weekend trip, for instance, consider taking the 6-hour drive northeast to Tadoussac in the mouth of the Saint Lawrence River for some excellent whale-watching opportunities.
Citizens from a vast number of countries can enter Canada as a tourist visa-free for up to 6 months. You will need to fill out the eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) in advance of your arrival; the fee is $7. All other nationalities must apply for a visa at a Canadian Visa Office in advance of their departure.
Driving in Montreal
Montreal’s streets are densely packed. Though the grid system makes the city infrastructure largely easy to understand, most streets are one-way, and street parking is highly regulated 7 days a week. You will want a car to visit many sights outside of the city, however! Make the most of your travel budget by booking a car only for the days you plan to drive outside of Montreal’s populated neighborhoods.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout Canada.
- In the city: between 30 and 50 km/h
- On rural highways and expressways: 90 km/h
- Montreal rush hours will seriously slow down your driving time, so avoid the roads between 6:30 and 9 am and 3:30 and 6 pm.
- Parking in Montreal is both expensive and difficult to find, so try to book a hotel with complimentary off-street parking. Particularly if you are travelling in the winter, pay close attention to street signs (typically in French) indicating restrictions to street parking to allow for snow plows to adequately clear the streets.
- If your domestic driver’s license has been issued in English or French, it is sufficient for up to 90 days of driving throughout Canada; otherwise you will need an international driver’s permit as well.
- The only toll road in Quebec is the A-30 Expressway along the southern border of Montreal.
- In contrast to most cities in Canada, turning right on a red light is strictly prohibited in Montreal.
- The minimum fully licensed driving age in Quebec is 18 years old, though you will likely have to be 21 years old to rent a car, and drivers under the age of 25 will face extra fees.
Cheap Car Rental in Montreal
Automobile hire in Montreal typically starts at around $24 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Montreal:
- Hyundai Accent or similar (economy class) – $24/day
- Kia Rio or similar (compact class) - $25/day
- Chevrolet Cruze or similar (intermediate class) - $26/day
- Mitsubishi Galant or similar (standard class) - $38/day
- Toyota Camry or similar (fullsize class) - $42/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Montreal
There is almost no seasonal variation in price for renting a car in Montreal. The best way to make sure you keep your rental prices down is to rent within six months of your planned arrival date. Particularly if you’re travelling in the off-season, you may find that the cheapest deals are available within days of your arrival, though you may run the risk of limited availability.
Discount Car and Truck Rental routinely has the cheapest car rental prices in many locations throughout Montreal. For more last-minute bookers, however, E-Z Rent-A-Car’s location at the Montreal Airport can often beat Discount’s price by at least $4. Ace Rent a Car’s airport location is also very inexpensive.