Car rental in MinneapolisWhere to pick up
Car rental in Minneapolis
Car rental locations in Minneapolis
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Minneapolis: one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US
Minneapolis has been an industrial center since the late nineteenth century, when the power of the Falls of Saint Anthony were harnessed to mill lumber and wheat. Now Minneapolis and its “twin city” of St. Paul form the Midwest’s third largest metropolitan area following Chicago and Detroit. With plentiful cultural offerings and the 22 lakes that give Minneapolis its name, the city and the surrounding area have much to offer visitors, particularly visitors who are mobile via rental car. Make the most of your visit by booking your car today!
Minneapolis and St. Paul witness extreme temperatures, hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. October is often the most comfortable time of year to visit. If you’re willing to leap into a lake to cool down, however, visit during any summer months after April, which can still feature some heavy snows.
The de facto official language of the US is English, which is also the native language of about 85% of Minneapolis’s residents. Spanish and numerous African languages such as Amharic and Twi are also spoken in the area. The instruction of Dakota and Ojibwe, the language of the area’s original inhabitants, is also being revived in Minneapolis-area schools.
The currency is the US dollar. Currency exchange is highly available at airports and popular tourist destinations, and credit cards are acceptable at the vast majority of businesses.
Minneapolis is in the Central Time Zone, UCT-6.
Automobile hire is available in 7 locations throughout Minneapolis, including the Minneapolis Airport, downtown, Hiawatha, and Longfellow.
Nickelodeon Universe and the Mall of America are both located right next door to the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport along the Mississippi River, while central Minneapolis is just twenty minutes away by rental car. Ely and the Superior National are a beautiful four-hour drive north of the city.
38 nationalities can enter the United States as tourists without applying for a visa, though if you are among these nationalities, you are still required to fill out the ESTA in advance. Visit esta.us for more information. Visitors to the United States will be fingerprinted and biometrically photographed upon entry. If your nationality is not included in the visa-waiver program, you will be required to apply for a B-1 or B-2 visa in advance of your arrival.
Driving in Minneapolis
Public transportation—including easy-to-rent bicycles from the ubiquitous Nice Ride Minnesota — is a great way to explore the city of Minneapolis, though you will be well rewarded with some beautiful Midwestern scenery when you leave the city as well. Any trip outside the city is made easier and most comfortable with a rental car.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout the USA.
- In the city: 25 to 30 miles per hour (circa 50 km/h)
- On interstates in the metropolitan areas: 55 miles per hour (circa 90 km/h)
- On interstates outside of metropolitan areas: 70 miles an hour (circa 110 km/h)
- Traffic in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul will be especially bad in the hours around 8 am and 5 pm.
- While parking in Minneapolis is slightly more challenging than in some other Midwestern cities, the city offers over 7000 metered street parking spots as well as numerous garages and lots to ease your exploration.
- You can drive on your domestic driver’s license for up to 60 days in Minnesota.
- The only toll roads in Minnesota are High Occupancy Toll lanes along the Interstate 35 around Minneapolis. Use of these lanes is paid for electronically and is free for motorcycles and vehicles occupied by two or more people.
- While the minimum fully licensed driving age in Minnesota is 18, you will have to be at least 21 years of age to rent a car. Drivers under 25 are likely to be charged extra, if they are permitted to rent at all.
Cheap Car Rental in Minneapolis
Automobile hire in Minneapolis typically starts at around $24 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Minneapolis:
- Hyundai Accent or similar (economy class) – $24/day
- Nissan Versa or similar (compact class) - $25/day
- Hyundai Elantra or similar (intermediate class) - $26/day
- Chevrolet Cruze or similar (standard class) - $29/day
- Chrysler 200 or similar (fullsize class) - $33/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Minneapolis
There is really no seasonal variation in price in Minneapolis, though particularly if you are arriving in the city in the off-season, you can often save at least $5 a day by booking your car just a few days in advance.
The cheapest location to book your automobile in Minneapolis is at the airport, where rental agencies such as Dollar and Thrifty keep prices low.
If you book at least a month in advance, you can also typically save almost $20 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.