Car rental in HobartWhere to pick up
Car rental locations in Hobart
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Hobart: historic architecture and gorgeous surroundings
Tasmania’s capital city, Hobart, is typically considered the gateway both to Southern Tasmania and to Antarctica, but the city is also well worth exploring in itself. Make the most of your visit to Hobart and its gorgeous surroundings by planning for a bit of diversity in your trip: take a day or two to explore the city fully, and then hit the road. Book your rental car today.
Summers, from December to March, are fairly cool in Hobart, hovering around or just below room temperature. Winters are also mild and rarely freeze. There is no particular rainy season in Hobart, as rain falls fairly consistently year-round.
The de facto official language of Australia is English, which is also the language spoken by the majority of Hobart’s residents. Between two and twelve Aboriginal languages were spoken in Tasmania (or Iutruwita) until the end of the nineteenth century. Today, they are being revived as the composite, constructed language Palawa kani.
Hobart is in the Australian Eastern Standard Time Zone, UTC+10, or UTC+11 during Daylight Savings Time, from October through March.
The currency is the Australian dollar and credit cards are widely accepted throughout the country. Many visitors will be surprised by the high price of groceries and other day-to-day goods.
Car hire is available in 2 locations throughout Hobart: Hobart International Airport (HBA) and downtown.
There is a lot to see in and around Hobart. For some truly spectacular ocean-side landscapes and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, head north to Freycinet National Park, about 170 km from Hobart. A drive inland to Mount Field National Park, about 80 kilometers northwest of Hobart, is also well worth your time.
All visitors to Australia require a visa to enter the country, except those coming from New Zealand. Depending on your country of citizenship, you can apply for these visas online for a fee of $20 to $130; be sure to only visit government websites for these applications in order to avoid surcharges and other fees. Some nationalities will have to apply for a visa via a paper application at an Australian embassy. Double check regulations for your nationality before you confirm your travel plans.
Driving in Hobart
While you won’t need a car to explore downtown Hobart, you will certainly want the convenience and mobility offered by car hire for explorations of the city’s neighborhoods and beyond. Make the most of your visit to Southern Tasmania by planning many road trips.
- Traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road throughout Australia.
- In the city: 50 km/h
- On the highway: 100 km/h
- Although there is no significant rush hour to speak of in Hobart, you will want to avoid the roads in Salamanca on Saturdays, when traffic is redirected to make space for the markets.
- Parking is regulated by time and fee in downtown Hobart and in other locations where car traffic is frequent. Fees vary according to the popularity of the area in which you would like to park.
- If your domestic driver’s license has been issued in a language other than English, an international driver’s permit will be necessary to rent a car in Australia.
- There are no toll roads in Tasmania.
- The minimum driving age in Tasmania is 17 years, though most rental companies will require that you are at least 21 years old to rent a car, and you are likely to face young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
Cheap Car Rental in Hobart
Car hire in Hobart typically starts at around $15 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Hobart:
- Hyundai I20 (economy class) - $16 per day
- Nissan Almera (compact class) - $31 per day
- Toyota Corolla (intermediate class) - $32 per day
- Mitsubishi Lancer (standard class) - $36 per day
- Toyota Camry (fullsize class) - $38 per day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Hobart
While there is no seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Hobart, you will want to book your car 2 to 7 months in advance of your arrival in order to secure the best deals. By far the cheapest rental cars in Hobart are offered by Bargain Car Rentals, which has an agency both downtown and at the airport. While Thrifty can also offer rental cars under $30 a day, Bargain Car Rentals’ prices are typically cheaper by at least $15 a day!
There is no rule to whether you save money by extending your rental period in Hobart. You may find that the best way to save money is to only rent on the days you need a car, rather than booking your car for the entire length of your stay in Tasmania.
Keep an eye out for discounts of up to 23% that make car hire in Hobart even cheaper!