Car rental in Puerto VallartaWhere to pick up
Car rental in Puerto Vallarta
Car rental locations in Puerto Vallarta
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Puerto Vallarta: driving Mexico’s hidden gem
Puerto Vallarta is a popular tourist destination for Mexican and international travellers alike, offering visitors exciting natural surroundings – beaches, jungles, and waterfalls – and excellent shopping and dining opportunities. Although the city and the beach – with its Malecón or promenade – are sure to keep you busy, make sure you also explore the city’s beautiful surroundings as well! Make the most of your visit by staying mobile via rental car. Book yours today!
Puerto Vallarta is very busy during Mexican holidays, so if you plan to travel to the city during major holidays, expect to join the crowds! To take advantage of great weather, visit the city from April through June.
The de facto national language of Mexico is Spanish, which is the primary language of most residents in and around Puerto Vallarta. The primary indigenous language spoken in the Puerto Vallarta region is Huichol. Many of the employees at tourist destinations throughout Puerto Vallarta also speak English, but road-trippers will want to learn some Spanish before they arrive.
Puerto Vallarta is located in the Central Standard Time Zone, UTC-6.
The currency in Mexico is the peso and is most easily received through currency exchange from American dollars or via ATMs, which are plentiful throughout Puerto Vallarta. Credit cards are accepted at most hotels and some restaurants and shops, though Mexico still very much has a cash culture. Plan to have cash on hand for the remainder of your financial transactions.
Car hire is available in 12 locations throughout Puerto Vallarta, including the Licenciado Gustavo Diaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR), also called the Puerto Vallarta Airport, downtown, and at Hotel Velas.
Travellers arriving to Mexico from many Western European countries, Chile, Argentina, the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand can enter without a visa. They will purchase a tourist card valid for 90 days (though you can extend this to 180 days for an extra fee). All other visitors are required to apply for a visa before they arrive.
Driving in Puerto Vallarta
While driving in busy Puerto Vallarta itself is not very enjoyable, a car will greatly increase your independence and mobility to enjoy the sights and scenery of the city’s surroundings. Take a break from the beach, for instance, to visit nearby cultural capital Guadalajara, about 330 km inland.
- Traffic proceeds on the right-hand side of the road throughout Mexico.
- On unmarked streets: typically 60 km/h
- On urban throughways: 60 to 80 km/h
- On rural highways: 70 to 90 km/h
- On major highways outside of cities: 110 km/h
- The majority of parking is regulated by time and fee throughout Puerto Vallarta. Thanks to the recent construction of public parking lots, parking should be readily available, particularly if you’re exploring the city in the off-season.
- An international driver’s permit is required for driving throughout Mexico in addition to your valid domestic driver’s license.
- Toll roads are frequent throughout Mexico, including the highway from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara. Tolls are primarily payable in cash.
- The minimum driving age in Mexico is 18, and drivers are rarely permitted to rent cars under the age of 25.
- Purchasing Mexican car insurance for the length of your rental contract is required in Mexico; if you are stopped by the police or at any of the country’s frequent checkpoints, you will be required to show proof of insurance.
Cheap Car Rental in Puerto Vallarta
Car hire in Puerto Vallarta typically starts at around $3 a day, though significantly cheaper deals are available from time to time. Here are some of the best deals in Puerto Vallarta:
- Chevrolet Matiz or similar (mini class) – $3/day
- Nissan March or similar (economy class) – $10/day
- Ford Ecosport or similar (compact class) – $12/day
- Hyundai Accent or similar (intermediate class) – $18/day
- Nissan Versa or similar (standard class) – $22/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Puerto Vallarta
The best way to save money on rental cars in Puerto Vallarta is to book your car at the airport within 7 to 8 months of your planned arrival. While major international car rental agencies provide car hire throughout the city, U-Save Car and Truck Rental offers unbeatably cheap car rental prices at the Puerto Vallarta Airport. Typically their prices start at under $4 a day! The next cheapest prices are from Hertz and EuropCar, both also located at the airport, with prices lingering around $10 to $20 a day.
With the help of discounts starting at 8%, Economy Bookings can also offer cheap rental car prices from time to time throughout the city. Keep an eye out for these discounts in order to ensure you are getting the cheapest price during your stay in Puerto Vallarta.
You can also typically save between $1 and $20 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.