Car rental in MoscowWhere to pick up
Car rental in Moscow
Car rental locations in Moscow
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Moscow: an Incredibly Vibrant Capital of Russia
Moscow is populated with cultural centers and architecture that commemorate centuries of Russian activity and the rise and fall of empires. It is a vibrant city to visit, whether you are a lover of history, nightlife, or both. Make the most of your visit by booking your rental car today.
The best time to visit Moscow is during the spring and summer, starting in May. The city is also not quite as populated in the summer, which can make driving much more enjoyable, though you may find that some tourist destinations are closed.
Russian is the main language of Russia, though denizens of the huge country speak over 100 dialects and other indigenous languages. Unlike the vast majority of Russians, many locals of Moscow will have some English knowledge, so speakers of English are likely to be able to navigate the city center without much knowledge of Russian. However, most road signs will be in Russian only, so learn the Cyrillic alphabet to some extent before you arrive.
Moscow is in the Moscow Time Zone, UTC+3.
The currency of Russia is the ruble. While large shops in Moscow will likely accept credit cards, restaurants and smaller stores will only accept cash. Take advantage of numerous ATMs throughout the city to keep some cash on hand.
Automobile hire is available in over 30 locations throughout Moscow, including Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport (SVO), Moscow Domodedovo Airport (DME), Moscow Vnukovo Airport (VKO), and downtown Moscow.
Citizens of around 30 countries, such as Brazil and Turkey, can visit Russia visa-free for a period of 14 to 90 days depending on their nationality. Citizens of all other countries, such as EU and North American countries, must apply for a visa at a Russian embassy or consulate before they arrive. To apply for a visa, you’ll need an invitation from a private or business entity in Russia in addition to your application, and you can expect to pay an invitation fee, an application fee, and a visa fee. Within 7 days of your arrival, your host is responsible for registering you, which can be done at a post office.
Driving in Moscow
Central Moscow and the Kremlin are surrounded by increasingly distant ring roads, from the most proximal Boulevard Ring to the distant 108-km-long Moscow Ring Road that circumnavigates the entire city. Driving in the city is comparable to driving in Rome or New York City, so drive defensively and avoid navigating the city during morning and evening rush hours.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road in Moscow, as throughout the rest of continental Europe.
- In the city: 20 to 60 km/h
- On expressways: 110 km/h
- On other roads: 90-110 km/h
- If you have held your license for less than 2 years, do not exceed 70 km/h throughout your travels in Russia.
- Traffic will be very congested during morning and evening rush hour.
- Parking is limited in downtown Moscow and illegal parking is heavily fined. Street parking is regulated by time and fee, which you can pay via mobile app or with a credit card at parking columns. The closer you are to central Moscow, the more you’ll pay.
- To defend your driving behavior in any legal cases, video record all of your time on the road.
- If you get into an accident, don’t move your car until the police have sketched an accident plan and you have signed it.
- An international driver’s permit is recommended in addition to your valid driver’s license for your travels throughout Russia.
- Numerous expressways are tolled in the Moscow area. Fees are payable by credit card at toll stations.
- While the minimum driving age in Russia is 18, you will have to be at least 21 years old with a full year’s driving experience to rent a car. Drivers under the age of 25 are likely to face young-driver surcharges.
Cheap Car Rental in Moscow
Automobile hire in Moscow typically starts at around $17 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Moscow:
- Volkswagen Polo or similar (economy class) – $17/day
- Opel Astra or similar (compact class) – $21/day
- Skoda Octavia or similar (intermediate class) – $22/day
- Nissan Teana or similar (standard class) – $40/day
- Toyota Camry or similar (fullsize class) – $47/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Moscow
There is almost no seasonal variation in price for automobile hire in Moscow. Instead, you will receive the best rental prices by booking your cars at locations that are served by the local rental service Eleks Polus. Eleks Polus is located at each of the airports, as well as at numerous other locations throughout the city. Companies such as TIS Cars and IdRIVE also offer cheap rental options.
You can also save at least $2 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!