Car Rental in MiamiWhere to pick up
Car Rental in Miami
Car rental locations in Miami
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Miami: a popular US vacation destination
Miami started its path to becoming one of the most populous cities in Florida in the 1920s, when construction began on the Overseas Highway that links the continent to the Keys archipelago to the south. The original Art Deco buildings of this period are still best visible in Miami Beach, an island city that protects Miami’s eastern seaboard. Make the most of your visit by exploring Miami and its fascinating natural and urban surroundings thoroughly with a rental car!
The best time to visit southern Florida’s beaches is June through September, before the rainy season starts, though March to May is also an excellent time of year for city strolls—and the occasional swim in the Atlantic.
The de facto national language of the United States is English, which is also the native language of the vast majority of Floridians. However, 20% of the state’s inhabitants’ mother tongue is speak Spanish, and in Miami, Spanish and Haitian Creole are sometimes more widely spoken than English.
The currency throughout the United States is the dollar. Currency exchange is available at airports and popular tourist destinations, and credit cards are accepted at the vast majority of businesses.
Miami is in the Eastern Time Zone, UTC-5.
Automobile hire is available in over 20 locations throughout Miami, including the Miami Airport (MIA), the Port of Miami, and downtown.
Take even more advantage of Miami’s location at the tip of Florida by following the 22-mile drive into the Everglades or the spectacular drive south along the keys to Key West. This 3.5 hour drive is definitely worth it, and taking advantage of the secluded beaches along the way is highly recommended.
38 nationalities can enter the United States as tourists without applying for a visa, though if you are among these nationalities, you are still required to fill out the ESTA in advance. Visit esta.us for more information. Visitors to the United States will be fingerprinted and biometrically photographed upon entry. If your nationality is not included in the visa-waiver program, you will be required to apply for a B-1 or B-2 visa in advance of your arrival.
Driving in Miami
While public transportation infrastructure is fairly good throughout central Miami, you will certainly want to be equipped with a car to make the most of your visit to the area. You will also likely find that travel throughout Miami is comfortable, as the streets are wide and the infrastructure typically very good.
- Traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road throughout the USA.
- In business and residential areas: 30 miles per hour (circa 50 km/h)
- On the expressway through Miami: 55 miles per hour (circa 80 km/h)
- On rural interstates and limited access highways: 70 miles per hour (circa 110 km/h)
- Traffic in Miami will be especially bad in the hours around 8 am and 5 pm.
- Parking in downtown Miami is typically quite expensive, costing $7 an hour and $30 a day. There are some pretty inexpensive parking options in Miami Beach, however, such as the 17th Street Garage just off of the Lincoln Road Mall, which is open 24-hours and costs only $8 for a full day’s parking.
- Your domestic driver’s license is valid in Florida.
- There are numerous toll roads in and through Miami. Ask your rental company if your car includes a SunPass transponder.
- While the minimum driving age in Florida is 16, you will have to be 21 years of age to rent a car. Drivers under 25 may be charged extra.
- Particularly if you’re coming from an area where drivers are pretty relaxed, prepare yourself to drive defensively in Miami; a lot of the locals are in quite the rush.
Cheap Car Rental in Miami
Automobile hire in Miami typically starts at around $16 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Miami:
- Hyundai Accent or similar (economy class) – $16/day
- Nissan Versa or similar (compact class) - $17/day
- Volkswagen Jetta or similar (intermediate class) - $19/day
- Chrysler 200 or similar (standard class) - $31/day
- Ford Fusion or similar (fullsize class) - $35/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Miami
There is very little seasonal variation in price for rental cars in Miami. Instead, you can make the most of your money by renting from locations such as the Miami Airport and the Port, where numerous rental agencies keep their prices low. Right Cars, Europcar, and Green Motion offer unbeatable prices at the airport, whereas Budget keeps prices low at the port.
If you’re willing to risk limited availability of cars, you can sometimes save up to $20 a day by booking your car just before you arrive in Miami. Otherwise, save $10 a day by extending your rental period to over a week.