Car Rental in Los AngelesWhere to pick up
Car Rental in Los Angeles
Car rental locations in Los Angeles
Car Rental in Los Angeles: The Entertainment Capital of the World
Los Angeles is a worldwide draw for its climate and beaches, its central business location, and of course for its central role in the film and television industry. Home to over 18 million people, the size, diversity, and offerings of Los Angeles are not to be underestimated! Though no paths go untrodden in the city, see far more than you might otherwise by exploring its diverse neighborhoods via rental car. Just plan ahead for traffic jams! Book you rental car today.
The temperature typically only varies by 10 degrees Celsius year round, with summers typically around 28 degrees Celsius (83 degrees Fahrenheit) and winter around 17 degrees Celsius (63 degrees Fahrenheit). Still, packing a warm sweater or jacket for evening visits to the coast is recommended.
While the de facto national language of the United States is English, less than 50% of Los Angeles families speak English as their first language. About 40% of the population are native-Spanish speakers. The Los Angeles basin was originally home to the Tongva people, and Tongva is still spoken in the area today. Due to migration, many ancient Mayan languages are also spoken in and around LA, particularly Quiché and Mam.
The currency throughout the United States is the dollar. Currency exchange is highly available at airports and popular tourist destinations, and credit cards are accepted at the vast majority of businesses.
Automobile hire is available in over 50 locations throughout Los Angeles, such as at the Los Angeles Airport (LAX) and in Beverly Hills.
38 nationalities can enter the United States as tourists without applying for a visa, though if you are among these nationalities, you are still required to fill out the ESTA in advance. Visit esta.us for more information. Visitors to the United States will be fingerprinted and biometrically photographed upon entry. If your nationality is not included in the visa-waiver program, you will be required to apply for a B-1 or B-2 visa in advance of your arrival.
Driving in Los Angeles
Los Angeles’s roads are packed for a reason: public transportation just doesn’t have the infrastructure in the city yet to provide reliable access to all of the sights and experiences of the city. Though you will inevitably be stuck in one traffic jam or another, travelling Los Angeles by rental car is truly the best way to see the city.
- Traffic proceeds on the right-hand side of the road throughout the USA.
- In most urban areas: 25 miles per hour (40 km/h)
- On single carriage highways: 55 mph (88 km/h)
- On highways: 65 to 70 mph (104 to 112 km/h)
- Traffic jams due to rush hour can occur at almost any time in LA, though they are particularly present from 5 to 10 in the morning and 3 to 7 in the evening.
- Avoid the headaches of finding a legal parking spot in the downtown LA by taking advantage of valet services. Otherwise you’re likely to find that street parking in many LA suburbs is free—though make sure you’re not parking in a resident-only area!
- Your domestic driver’s license is sufficient for driving in California.
- There are numerous toll roads in Los Angeles and Orange County, including an expressway or two that can speed up your travel time. Ask your rental company if your car has been outfitted with a FasTrak transponder.
- Californians can legally drive as young as 16 with driver’s education, but most rental agencies will require you to be at least 21, and you can expect to pay young driver surcharges until the age of 25.
- A GPS or satnav is a must in Los Angeles, so be sure to ask your rental company if your car is equipped with updated navigation systems.
- Listen to the KNX 1070 AM radio station for traffic reports every ten minutes.
Cheap Car Rental in Los Angeles
Automobile hire in Los Angeles typically starts at around $27 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Los Angeles:
- Kia Rio or similar (economy class) – $27/day
- Nissan Note or similar (compact class) - $28/day
- Hyundai Elantra or similar (intermediate class) - $29/day
- Chrysler 200 or similar (standard class) - $30/day
- Chevrolet Impala or similar (fullsize class) - $31/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Los Angeles
There is very little seasonal variation in price for rental cars in LA. Instead, make the most of your money by renting in locations with diverse rental agencies, such as the Los Angeles Airport or Beverly Hills, both of which offer rental car agencies with excellent prices. At the airport, Dollar and Thrifty keep prices low. Often, however, EconomyBookings in Beverly Hills can beat these prices by over $5!
You can also save over $10 a day by extending your rental period to over a week!