Car Hire in CyprusLugar de recogida
Car Hire in Cyprus
Ciudades populares coches de alquiler Cyprus
Why use EconomyBookings.com
Car Rental in Cyprus: a unique mix of cultures in the Mediterranean
Cyprus is at the intersection of civilizations, representing in culture, architecture, food, and language the meeting of Christian and Muslim cultures, Greek and Ottoman empires. All this on a small and beautiful landmass in the Mediterranean Sea. Make the most of your visit to Cyprus by exploring it fully via rental car.
Beach-goers will want to visit Cyprus between June and September, though you’ll want to invest in a car with air-conditioning if you’re planning on touring the island in the hottest months of August and September.
The official languages of Cyprus are Greek (primarily in the south) and Turkish (primarily in the north). English is also widely spoken, and you’re likely to come across speakers of French, German, and Russian as well.
As in many other European countries, the currency in Cyprus is the Euro.
Cyprus is located in the Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+2.
To see the most of Cyprus, head from Larnaca to the Troodos Mountains, a drive of about one and a half hours, for some great views and rural calm. Or head just over an hour north to the beautiful harbor town of Girne. A trip from Paphos at the southwestern tip of the island to Karpass National Park at the northeastern tip of the Karpass Peninsula takes about four and a half hours in good traffic conditions.
Cheap car hire in Cyprus is available in fourteen cities and towns, with major rental hubs in Larnaca and Limassol. The Larnaca Airport provides especially cheap car rental options. Looking for a car hire in North Cyprus? It is also available!
Citizens of 60 nations and territories are permitted to enter Cyprus visa-free as tourists for a period of up to 90 days with passports that are valid for the length of their stay. All other nationalities will have to apply for a tourist visa at a Cyprus Consulate in advance of their departure to the island.
Note that you will also likely be required to fill out visa forms to travel between north and south - or Turkish and Greek - Cyprus. While this is typically achieved through filling out a very basic visa form on the spot, double-check visa regulations for your nationality if you plan on cross-island travel.
Driving in Cyprus
Self-driving Cyprus is by far the most convenient and effective way to see the island, though it is recommended that you drive defensively in Cyprus and stay alert whenever on the road for the erratic behavior of other drivers and quickly changing road conditions. Otherwise, motorways between cities are well maintained, making your exploration of the island quite comfortable.
- Like most British Commonwealth countries, traffic drives on the left-hand side of the road throughout Cyprus.
Typical Speed Limits
- In towns and villages: between 30 and 50 km/h (18 and 31 mph)
- Rural roads: 65 to 80 km/h (40 to 50 mph)
- On highways: 100 km/h (62 mph)
- Particularly if you’re not trying to park along with the working forces of Cyprus around 9 am, car parks should provide you ample parking opportunities throughout the island.
- Domestic driver’s licenses are recognized as fully valid from 17 nationalities in addition to European Union countries in Cyprus; all other drivers should accompany their licenses with an international driver’s permit valid for the length of their stay.
- There are no toll roads in Cyprus.
- Inhabitants of Cyprus can be licensed to drive as young as 17 and a half years old, though you will have to be at least 21 years old to rent a car. You can expect to pay young-driver surcharges until the age of 25.
- Ask your rental company what the regulations are for driving on certain types of roads; your insurance may not cover damage to the car if you drive on gravel roads during your rental period.
Cheap Car Rental in Cyprus
Car hire in Cyprus typically starts at around $18 a day. Here are some of the best deals in Cyprus:
- Toyota Yaris or similar (economy class) – $18/day
- Renault Clio or similar (economy class) – $20/day
- Suzuki Alto or similar (mini class) – $21/day
- Ford Focus or similar (compact class) – $22/day
- Renault Fluence or similar (standard class) – $30/day
Note that prices vary depending on the availability of each specific car and the season in which you rent. For the most accurate offers, use the search bar above.
Tips for Renting a Car Inexpensively in Cyprus
Renting in the winter is substantially less expensive than renting in summer months. Cars are often available at the Larnaca Airport for as low as $10 a day in the winter months, and this price can be reduced to $7 a day if you extend your rental period by another week!
You are also likely to find that renting cars with a standard transmission is less expensive than their automatic counterparts.
Larnaca Airport is the cheapest place to pick up your rental car, where the inexpensive automobile hire agencies of Right Cars, Thrifty, and Sur Price Car Rentals are located.